• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Canadian sniper sets new world record on kill!

I punched this into a ballistics calculator. This shot would require a 980 foot holdover even if his rifle was zeroed at 1,000 yards. What would you use for visual reference?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

See that cloud? See that little poofy part on the right?
Hold at 10 o'clock on the poofy part. :becky:

Technology will never be able to replace natural skills/gifts

unfortunately it totally can when your talking about this kinda stuff. a computer operated rifle could make a shot like this all day long BUUUTTTT that computer system right now would be far to large and heavy for any practical use . . . for now. But to give you an idea, just think of the range finders used on Apaches and other helicopters and how far they make shots on target. Its all just math and unfortunately we wont ever be able to do it as fast as computers.

all that being said i would also suspect his guy was just as suprised when he hit him, im assuming he was just trying to put rounds in the area to try and force them to keep their heads down and one of those rounds found its way home. . . i would have loved to see the smile it must have put on his face

unfortunately it totally can when your talking about this kinda stuff. a computer operated rifle could make a shot like this all day long BUUUTTTT that computer system right now would be far to large and heavy for any practical use . . . for now. But to give you an idea, just think of the range finders used on Apaches and other helicopters and how far they make shots on target. Its all just math and unfortunately we wont ever be able to do it as fast as computers.

all that being said i would also suspect his guy was just as suprised when he hit him, im assuming he was just trying to put rounds in the area to try and force them to keep their heads down and one of those rounds found its way home. . . i would have loved to see the smile it must have put on his face

Without deploying sensors downrange, a computer cannot factor all the wind variables involved in a long distance shot. This makes TrackingPoint, and similar systems, a slight shortcut and not an answer. If you deploy sensors down range to read wind, it kinda gives away the Sniper's presence.

Of all the external variables that a shooter must compensate for, wind is the one that moves the bullet the most (other than gravity). Wind is also the hardest variable to accurately call and dope. So, the computers take care of the easy stuff and leave the shooter with the hard one. Not much off an improvement, especially when you factor in the cost and added weight.

I've been invited to, and participated in, more than one demo shoot of TrackingPoint and similar systems. You can't compare a bullet with a missile.

Without deploying sensors downrange, a computer cannot factor all the wind variables involved in a long distance shot. This makes TrackingPoint, and similar systems, a slight shortcut and not an answer. If you deploy sensors down range to read wind, it kinda gives away the Sniper's presence.

Of all the external variables that a shooter must compensate for, wind is the one that moves the bullet the most (other than gravity). Wind is also the hardest variable to accurately call and dope. So, the computers take care of the easy stuff and leave the shooter with the hard one. Not much off an improvement, especially when you factor in the cost and added weight.

I've been invited to, and participated in, more than one demo shoot of TrackingPoint and similar systems. You can't compare a bullet with a missile.

oh nothing current is comparable, thats why in my statement "large and heavy for any practical use . . . for now". we have advanced systems that can completely account for wind speeds along the paths using multiple lasers as well as other systems but again these are all massive units that are found in things like gunships and the such. Im just waiting for the day when it can all be relatively small sized, im sure drones will help with that. just like everything else, technologies moving so fast now we make ourselves more obsolete by the day.

**** is ****ing scary
Whats scary is this is what they have cleared to release to the public. Several years ago i watched a program that used microwaves to cause intense pain that could be focused on clusters of people. I forget the distance but, I think it was a couple hundred yards. This program also showed sound wave weapons that could disrupt organs. Most next gen weapons are probably sent to storage since its easier/cheaper to just drop a bomb or shoot someone with lead. I know Id never want to be in a tank though. There's some nasty anti tank stuff out there.

Back
Top Bottom