• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cane Toad - Poor Man's Exotic Pet

That chameleon is BRIGHT. What do you feed the Tokays?

The chameleon only gets bright like that when he's angry lol...I held him in front of a mirror so he thought there was another male lol. It's actually not good for their health, but I had to try it to see...he did look awesome though.

The tokay...I don't remember what his diet was but I think it was mealworms and crickets. Those tokays are beautiful and they're cheap...like $20...but they can have a nasty temperament.

I could never pull off chameleons. Tried one Iguana and said forget it. Lizards are finicky.

The larger chameleons like the one I had are a PITA to keep. They can't be in a glass tank because they have to have airflow, otherwise they're susceptible to respiratory infection. That's why they're always in a screened-in cage. Mine was 2'x2'x4'. But then they have to have high heat and high humidity. So I had to mist him and have a dripper setup, I had to elevate the cage so I could attach a nipple and vinyl tubing to the bottom so the water would drain into a 5 gallon bucket, etc, etc. I really screwed up by not doing my research until AFTER I bought him lol...basically I had to replicate Madagascar's climate in one room of my house...

I've been looking at carpet and pygmy chameleons though. They only get to be a couple of inches in length, and I *think* they can stay in a glass tank bc of their small size. Lots easier to control heat/humidity in a glass tank!

The larger chameleons like the one I had are a PITA to keep. They can't be in a glass tank because they have to have airflow, otherwise they're susceptible to respiratory infection. That's why they're always in a screened-in cage. Mine was 2'x2'x4'. But then they have to have high heat and high humidity. So I had to mist him and have a dripper setup, I had to elevate the cage so I could attach a nipple and vinyl tubing to the bottom so the water would drain into a 5 gallon bucket, etc, etc. I really screwed up by not doing my research until AFTER I bought him lol...basically I had to replicate Madagascar's climate in one room of my house...

I've been looking at carpet and pygmy chameleons though. They only get to be a couple of inches in length, and I *think* they can stay in a glass tank bc of their small size. Lots easier to control heat/humidity in a glass tank!
Well I ran a setup with a fish tank bubbler in a large water dish and a timed fan. I had a plain jane petco chameleon. The thing as terrible. Wouldn't eat, wouldn't be handled. He was a jerk.

I had a really cool vivarium with a bunch of white's frogs. Filled with plants, live bugs to turn the dirt. Maaaan that was the easiest thing I've ever kept.

I've had 2 bearded dragons. Bought as a juvenile couple. Both turned out to be males and one ate the tail off the other and became wicked aggressive.
Red Eared slider tank w/ fish, firebelly toads and salamander. It was an awesome set up. A lot of trial and error putting it together w/ land and water mixed.
2 Geckos in a rain forest terrarium set up w/ live plants and water fall.
Numerous tree frogs set up in a tree canopy terrarium.
Numerous fish. Salt and fresh water.

Now just have farm animals, cats and dogs. Except for a few gold fish in an outdoor pond.

I had a really cool vivarium with a bunch of white's frogs. Filled with plants, live bugs to turn the dirt. Maaaan that was the easiest thing I've ever kept.

White's are awesome. I want to do a similar setup like you had, but I want Brazilian Milk Frogs. To me, they just look amazing.

amazon-milk-frog-1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom