• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Canned crab meat?

ITEST THE WATER.IF WE DON'T HEAR FROM YOU IN A FEW DAY'S IT'S BEEN GOOD KNOWING YOU'
My brother is coming in this afternoon (unexpectedly) from Erbil, Iraq. He owes me money. I'll make him some crab cakes or Salmon Croquettes (found some expired 2008). If he pays me back a little, I'll stop him from eating any.

I haven't decided what to do with it yet. It seems wasteful to throw it out after keeping it for years in Chicago and moving it all the way to Macon where I've kept it an additional 7 years. I may open one (on trash day) just to see how bad it could be. I'm really curious as to why I purchased it in the first place and what did I do with the other three cans?
I USUALLY TRY THAT STUFF OUT ON THE WIFE OR KIDS FIRST

You people are timid.
I'll bet you don't even try the "manager's special" sushi at the local stop-n-rob convenience store.
Are you afraid of saving money? Do you like seeing food wasted?
There are starving people in China, you know. (Or, North Korea. Or Somalia. Or somewhere.)

the crab meat is probably not bad. A bad (spoiled) product will not stay in the can. Canned foods are processed by time and temperature to render them "commercially sterile".........sterile meaning no living bacteria in the can, so if the can is intact, not swelled, still in a vacuum, you should be ok. Lots of canned foods have a manufacture date but no expiration date. Canned food should be good if the can has not been damaged or lost it's vacuum. That said, open it and try it or chunk it and buy some more. I ran a canning plant for years. That and a dollar will get you a cheap cup of coffee. (but trust this. IF a product is bad you will know it upon opening the can.)

It should be fine...
giphy.gif

Back
Top Bottom