Can't buy local any longer

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbkatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   0
Reaction score
I don't think I can bring myself to buy firearms locally any longer. At least in cases where the firearm is on the more expensive side.

I would prefer to support local business and support local gun stores, and a "few" dollars here or there is not enough to make me go elsewhere. Sometimes I just want to handle something and take it home right away since I like immediate gratification.

But this week I purchased two new 1911's. Searching all over on the internet, I find that most stores on line, and most local stores, price the firearm at MSRP, or perhaps 5% under MSRP at best.

To be more specific, I wanted the Nighthawk Agent 2 and found one locally for around 4,650. add to that the sales tax I pay to buy local and the price out the door is over $4,900. They would probably drop the price by $100 or even $200 on that item - but between the tax and the retail MSRP, its a steep price.

I found the same gun online at "online only" store. I have bought from the same place before and he answers his phone or calls back in minutes, processes easy and ships the next day. Shipping and insurance are free, there is no sales tax and he gives 10% discount to police, military and (for me - security work - as I am neither military or LEO).

same gun for 4,100. I can delay the gratification for a few days for that kind of savings.

I bought a Wilson Combat at the same time and had similar experience with price and discounts.

No pictures as they arrive today at the local gun store. I'll have to pay $70 in transfer fees, but the savings on the two pistols was $1,000.

Cheaper guns - I may still do local, but once something costs close to $1,000 - I think I have to keep up the internet searches. Takes a little time, but worth the effort.

I've found a few places selling lightly used guns and been happy to take advantage of those savings as well through the same process. If I can't find it here on ODT, I just have to spend time casting the wider net.

I don't think I can bring myself to buy firearms locally any longer. At least in cases where the firearm is on the more expensive side.

I would prefer to support local business and support local gun stores, and a "few" dollars here or there is not enough to make me go elsewhere. Sometimes I just want to handle something and take it home right away since I like immediate gratification.

But this week I purchased two new 1911's. Searching all over on the internet, I find that most stores on line, and most local stores, price the firearm at MSRP, or perhaps 5% under MSRP at best.

To be more specific, I wanted the Nighthawk Agent 2 and found one locally for around 4,650. add to that the sales tax I pay to buy local and the price out the door is over $4,900. They would probably drop the price by $100 or even $200 on that item - but between the tax and the retail MSRP, its a steep price.

I found the same gun online at "online only" store. I have bought from the same place before and he answers his phone or calls back in minutes, processes easy and ships the next day. Shipping and insurance are free, there is no sales tax and he gives 10% discount to police, military and (for me - security work - as I am neither military or LEO).

same gun for 4,100. I can delay the gratification for a few days for that kind of savings.

I bought a Wilson Combat at the same time and had similar experience with price and discounts.

No pictures as they arrive today at the local gun store. I'll have to pay $70 in transfer fees, but the savings on the two pistols was $1,000.

Cheaper guns - I may still do local, but once something costs close to $1,000 - I think I have to keep up the internet searches. Takes a little time, but worth the effort.

I've found a few places selling lightly used guns and been happy to take advantage of those savings as well through the same process. If I can't find it here on ODT, I just have to spend time casting the wider net.

Did you ask the LGS to price match? Some do on some guns.

Did you ask the LGS to price match? Some do on some guns.
I considered it, but even if they matched the price, the 246 in tax would still be an issue. take out 35 for the transfer fee and its still over 200.

starting to feel the same way buying optics - Bass pro will match the amazon price, but you have to pay tax to bass pro.

I considered it, but even if they matched the price, the 246 in tax would still be an issue. take out 35 for the transfer fee and its still over 200.

starting to feel the same way buying optics - Bass pro will match the amazon price, but you have to pay tax to bass pro.

Yeah, that tax is a killer.

Wow.. that was disrespectful.. let’s see how this is handled!^^^^

we should probably rehash the discussions about diminishing returns. How much is too much to spend on a "tool" when another one will do the same job. We can use the car analogy (again) about buying a Mercedes when a Kia will get you there and back just fine.

But in the end it is all relative. If 7K is out of range for some (and it usually is for me, but I had some special circumstances that are no one's business) then you can do the same math on a $500.00 gun from your local store vs. buying at Buds or Cheaper than dirt. 15% of a lot or 15% savings on a big dollar amount or 15% savings on a smaller dollar amount.

If the "smaller" dollar amount (a relative measure) is significant to you, then why not go on line and skip taxes to get your savings. some places will give you free transfers - I've seen that discussed here. The difference on the $25 vs $35 transfer is not worth the connivance to me so I don't price shop it.

the dollar savings may vary, but the percentage savings may be the same. Its just an observation and it happens to be very "dramatic" when you get into higher end firearms.

But all that said, I agree that the comment and "snickers" were not necessary.

:confused:
You ordered/paid $7 Thousand plus dollars for 2 1911's and make a post about saving and smart purchasing?..LOL
This website and some posters on here NEVER cease to amaze me.(shake my head)

Congratulations on being such a smart consumer.(snickers)
:confused: So because he can afford a couple nice firearms he should just pay more and not worry about $1000? Makes sense.... I bet the reason he can afford nice guns is because he has been smart with his money in his life. He should spend more money for no reason? I don’t follow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom