• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Can't shoot pistol with stepson?

Sounds like bull**** to me, at least about there being a 'federal law' prohibiting him shooting a gun on their premises (while under your supervision).

Having said that - their range, their rules. They're at liberty to deny use of their facilities to anyone they don't like the look of (with the exceptions of based on skin color, age, gender etc). Just as we're at liberty to stop using their facilities because they're asses.

Just some power hungry dip sh*t just throwing his weight around to feel important. I was shooting guns before I was 10. Back then nobody would have given it a second thought. Especially at his age. He can legally own a handgun just can't purchase one ( I think that's right ). I would call and speak to a manager and raise a little HE double hockey sticks. It's literally the most absurd thing I have heard of range wise. Never was a problem at RBGC. They were 16 and up back then which I feel is way old enough to shoot whatever. Times have changed and not for the better gentlema, Utterly ridiculous!

Ok so my stepson and I were told he couldn't shoot my pistol at a range Saturday. Rifles were acceptable. Has anybody heard of this? BTW, he's not a kid, he's 19. I was told it was a federal law, but I looked at 922 and I didn't see a reference to this. Was the range just looking to turn us away? They said I had to have documented proof of guardianship but how do you even get that for a legal adult?
Bullshyte. He's passed the age of majority and can possess a pistol. No "'guardianship" proof is required or necessary unless he's "special needs." If they make that a "rule" I'd find another club/range. We require guardianship or a "release" for a non custodial parent to have a shooter UNDER 18 years of age on the range. After 18? You're an adult, be prepared to do adult things.

Its all about the liabilities involved. CYA at all costs. they are using 18 to purchase a long gun and 21 to purchase a pistol as their rule.

I literally can't find a federal law about this. I searched 922 and found this in section x:

(x)
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to sell, deliver, or otherwise transfer to a person who the transferor knows or has reasonable cause to believe is a juvenile
(A)
a handgun; or
(B)
ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(2) It shall be unlawful for any person who is a juvenile to knowingly possess—
(A)
a handgun; or
(B)
ammunition that is suitable for use only in a handgun.

(3) This subsection does not apply to—
(A) a temporary transfer of a handgun or ammunition to a juvenile or to the possession or use of a handgun or ammunition by a juvenile if the handgun and ammunition are possessed and used by the juvenile
(i)
in the course of employment, in the course of ranching or farming related to activities at the residence of the juvenile (or on property used for ranching or farming at which the juvenile, with the permission of the property owner or lessee, is performing activities related to the operation of the farm or ranch), target practice, hunting, or a course of instruction in the safe and lawful use of a handgun;
(ii) with the prior written consent of the juvenile’s parent or guardian who is not prohibited by Federal, State, or local law from possessing a firearm, except—
(I)
during transportation by the juvenile of an unloaded handgun in a locked container directly from the place of transfer to a place at which an activity described in clause (i) is to take place and transportation by the juvenile of that handgun, unloaded and in a locked container, directly from the place at which such an activity took place to the transferor; or
(II)
with respect to ranching or farming activities as described in clause (i), a juvenile may possess and use a handgun or ammunition with the prior written approval of the juvenile’s parent or legal guardian and at the direction of an adult who is not prohibited by Federal, State or local law from possessing a firearm;
(iii)
the juvenile has the prior written consent in the juvenile’s possession at all times when a handgun is in the possession of the juvenile; and
(iv)
in accordance with State and local law;

Back
Top Bottom