• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carbon fiber AR barrel?

Darkdiesel

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
87   0
Reaction score
Anyone here used a carbon fiber barrel on an AR build? I'm thinking of trying one out for a Grendel build. The Internet says they're g2g so.....

Don’t have one, but from my understanding there is a super light profile steel barrel core with rifling that is wrapped in the carbon fiber. The carbon fiber adds strength, rigidity to an otherwise flimsy tube. A lot of competition shooters use them, and some super hardcore back country hunters use them to save weight. Pretty sure they dissipate the heat pretty well.

Don’t have one, but from my understanding there is a super light profile steel barrel core with rifling that is wrapped in the carbon fiber. The carbon fiber adds strength, rigidity to an otherwise flimsy tube. A lot of competition shooters use them, and some super hardcore back country hunters use them to save weight. Pretty sure they dissipate the heat pretty well.

That jives with the research so far. Wieght savings seems to be about 8oz but with faster heat dissipation.

I'm hoping to hear from someone with first hand experience. They aren't the cheapest option.

F8690162-9758-4E6F-9A2D-22AC5FB4F62B.jpeg
78EAE7B2-949A-4940-A75B-B1456CA3DE99.jpeg

Put this proof research on my noveske 7.62. Shaved some weight off on this pig. You’ll like it!

I was about to pull the trigger on a bsf but reconsidered. If I still go carbon it'll have to be a proof. They only offer a 20in for the grendel right now tho and i'm wanting an 18".
Don’t you need all the barrel you can get for the Grendel to reach desired velocity? Guess carbon fiber really makes more sense for longer barrels where the weight really starts dragging the muzzle down. Go for it.

Don’t you need all the barrel you can get for the Grendel to reach desired velocity? Guess carbon fiber really makes more sense for longer barrels where the weight really starts dragging the muzzle down. Go for it.

I don't need the extra velocity for the ranges I plan on shooting. The grendel will stay super sonic easily out to 800, which is further than I've ever shot.

If I ever get a chance to shoot long range on a regular basis I'll probably reconsider going to a longer barrel.

Still on the fence about a barrel tho. I'm currently looking at a couple from precision firearms. I'm waiting on a call from a sometime there to help me decide.

I don't need the extra velocity for the ranges I plan on shooting. The grendel will stay super sonic easily out to 800, which is further than I've ever shot.

If I ever get a chance to shoot long range on a regular basis I'll probably reconsider going to a longer barrel.

Still on the fence about a barrel tho. I'm currently looking at a couple from precision firearms. I'm waiting on a call from a sometime there to help me decide.

Might wanna compare weights from a very light profile barrel to a carbon fiber and see if the cost-to-benefit is worth it. If you aren’t shooting a lot of volume or rapid shots then a light steel barrel will probably be the most cost efficient way to go.

Back
Top Bottom