• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cargo ship 'listing heavily' in Georgia port, 4 crew members missing ... (merged threads)

I'm not down there anymore. But that is a mystery for sure. I've seen lots of ships go in and out of the 3 berths at that port and never seen anything like that. From what I read it seems like the ship is stuck on its side right between the pier village at St Simons and Driftwood Beach on Jekyll. But the times I've been on the islands an watched them go by they were still just creeping along. Sometimes the yellow tug boats would still be close by. This had to be some type of weather event combined with the empty ship weight.

Just talked with a couple of folks down there that still work for International Auto Processing. Semi official word is that there were around 200 cars still on the ship that weren't strapped down correctly and they all kinda shifted to one side. There SHOULD be some long shoremen fire behind that but there most likely won't be. They're protected union guys.

I was just about to say that was a car transport ship.

Scratch and dent sale coming soon!
All the Tulluride models we drove when I was at IAP were made in the U.S. I believe over in Lagrange. One of the nicer Kia models I was in. But they all had Arabic writing on the side mirrors and controls. They also had fire extinguishers mounted right in front of the passenger seat. I guess that's an import requirement over there. So I'm guessing that ship had just off loaded hundreds of Hyundais and or Kias for IAP to process and loaded up the Tellurides to go back out. That's a big loss for some insurance company. The hurricane before last like in 2017 flooded and destroyed about 200 new Kias and Hyundais in the off sight zones across from the port.
Good thing it wasn't a WWL ship where my wife used to work. It would've been Jags,Rovers, Maseratis and Astin Martins upside down and full of salt water.

Back
Top Bottom