• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry ammo question

haymons22

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been covered but I thought I'd post anyway.

What is your preferred 9mm carry ammo and why? I'd like to keep it specifically to 9mm because that is what I carry. I currently carry Hornady Critical Duty but was interested to see if there is a reason I should switch. Feel free to post any links that are relevant. Thanks in advance for any advice given.

45acp_05.jpg

My preferred 9mm carry ammo is 124-147gr Federal HST +P. If not available, 124gr Speer Gold Dot +P.

Defensive ammo is a highly debated topic. Real science helps to negate fallacious claims and inflammatory advertising. A great resource is http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/ were baseline comparisons are made to time tested bullet designs (Speer Gold Dot, etc.) with proven track records. You can find 9mm hornady critical duty there.

Keep in mind the following when looking at the compared data:

BALLISTIC GEL - Gel is not an adequate representation of human tissue, particularly the human body as a whole. What it does provide is a calibratable baseline for comparison purposes of projectile performance. Properly calibrated pork based ballistic gel simulates internal organ tissue (e.g. human liver).

PENETRATION - This measurement is very important (insert immature joke here). With the above in mind remember that shallow penetrating projectiles will perform even worse in anything other than gel, including the human body.

EXPANSION - This measurement indicates wounding potential via permanent wound cavity. This is the reliable method of incapacitation via a handgun projectile.

BONDING - Available as a mechanical lock or chemical adhesion of the jacket and core. Mostly a concern for LE consumers routinely encountering windshield or window glass intermediate barrier. Jacket separation can negate any performance potential a complete projectile would provide.

I prefer a fast moving +P bullet that meets the minimum FBI penetration requirements, in the heaviest weight available.

I'll carry just about any modern hollow point.
The old style HP's had a much thicker copper jacket that needed more velocity to open up, but any new design in the last 25 years should open up at normal short-barreled carry pistol velocities.

Back
Top Bottom