• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry handle driving me crazy on AR556!-RESOLVED

Spencer60: I agree, but the F height front sight should match with a Milspec carry handle.

Freedom: no, it isn't. I'm just going off of Ruger's website (which Spencer60 quoted) and forum heresy.

If it's not f marked, then it's not right. Think of the corners that get cut for a $499 dollar AR to be profitable, one is probably sourcing whatever fsbs they get a deal on.

It's ridiculous to say you can't zero at 50 yards. The z mark is for 25 yards to get close to the 300 yard zero, but the sight is designed for all the comeups to be made on the rear sight once you initially zero it. If you have the right rear and matching front sight, there's still plenty of adjustment up and down on the front sight.

Is the sight actually F marked?

I'm pretty sure those are made in house by Ruger as do not look like a normal, mil-spec FSB.

My best assumptions is that Ruger made those to F height standards and thus had no need to mark them. I don't think Ruger even offers an tradition 20" AR with an A2 FSB.

Every Ruger AR rifle have seen has what appears to be a cast front sight base, not forged. If your forged carry handle/front sight base is unable to achieve a 50 yard zero without screwing your front sight almost all the way out the only answer is the front sight base is .04 inches lower than the standard M4 "F" marked front sight base, or somebody has chopped your front sight post (which makes no sense). Forged carry handles come in two verities only......the standard mil-spec that is manufactured to achieve zero with a F marked front sight base, and the non standard commercial (.04 inches lower at the rear sight aperture) made to zero with the standard A2/A3 rifle front sight base (which is .04 inches lower than the M4 F marked front sight base). No foundry turns out forgings intended to have a rear sight base higher than a carry handle machined to accommodate a F marked front sight base.

Check out this thread, go to post #71:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/hello-im-mtdawg169-and-im-a-parts-snob.1372107/page-2

AK's don't have lil carry handles....I'm jus sayin
My AK doesn't need a purse strap.
IMG_1595.JPG

Maybe you have two non milspec carry handles.
I get what you mean, however, my problem is that the rear sight is too tall ( or the front sight is too short, take your pick). If I had a commercial height one now, a milspec would be taller and only exacerbate the problem. Unless both are cheapos and actually even taller than a Milspec (which itself is taller than a commercial) I don't get how that's the case. I've used the Cerro Forge handle on a DPMS before and it was fine.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback guys. Keep it coming.

Back
Top Bottom