• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry handle driving me crazy on AR556!-RESOLVED

I get what you mean, however, my problem is that the rear sight is too tall ( or the front sight is too short, take your pick). If I had a commercial height one now, a milspec would be taller and only exacerbate the problem. Unless both are cheapos and actually even taller than a Milspec (which itself is taller than a commercial) I don't get how that's the case. I've used the Cerro Forge handle on a DPMS before and it was fine.

I REALLY appreciate the feedback guys. Keep it coming.
Sounds like that Cerro forged carry handle is made for a F marked front sight base. I think the problem has already been identified by you in post #9.:thumb:

Sounds like that Cerro forged carry handle is made for a F marked front sight base. I think the problem has already been identified by you in post #9.:thumb:
Yep, this is my fear, although it's easily rectified. Gun was bought new so I know it isn't modded, it has to be that Ruger put the wrong (lower) FSB. Never had an issue with a Ruger product so this baffles me. Like I said, even the Ruger supplied flip-up rear sight is noticeably shorter than my carry handles.

Not cool, Ruger. Not cool.

If it's not f marked, then it's not right. Think of the corners that get cut for a $499 dollar AR to be profitable, one is probably sourcing whatever fsbs they get a deal on.

It's ridiculous to say you can't zero at 50 yards. The z mark is for 25 yards to get close to the 300 yard zero, but the sight is designed for all the comeups to be made on the rear sight once you initially zero it. If you have the right rear and matching front sight, there's still plenty of adjustment up and down on the front sight.

Every Ruger AR rifle have seen has what appears to be a cast front sight base, not forged. If your forged carry handle/front sight base is unable to achieve a 50 yard zero without screwing your front sight almost all the way out the only answer is the front sight base is .04 inches lower than the standard M4 "F" marked front sight base, or somebody has chopped your front sight post (which makes no sense). Forged carry handles come in two verities only......the standard mil-spec that is manufactured to achieve zero with a F marked front sight base, and the non standard commercial (.04 inches lower at the rear sight aperture) made to zero with the standard A2/A3 rifle front sight base (which is .04 inches lower than the M4 F marked front sight base). No foundry turns out forgings intended to have a rear sight base higher than a carry handle machined to accommodate a F marked front sight base.

Check out this thread, go to post #71:

https://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/hello-im-mtdawg169-and-im-a-parts-snob.1372107/page-2

Ruger makes them in house, they are F height. I dropped an LMT L8A sight on mine and it required no adjustments.

Bennyboy Bennyboy how about pics of the rifle and both carry handles?

How do you know they are F height? Have you measured it?

I have not, but the Ruger specs say it's F height and it's lined up perfectly with multiple sights and absolute co-witness optic mounts. So I have no reason to believe that the Ruger specs are wrong.

Ruger makes them in house, they are F height. I dropped an LMT L8A sight on mine and it required no adjustments.

Bennyboy Bennyboy how about pics of the rifle and both carry handles?
Not at home just now, but I'll get pics when I get there. I fully agree with you about Ruger saying it's F height, I just don't understand the whole situation. I'm a huge Ruger fan so I'm all for giving them the benefit of the doubt but even if the problem is the carry handle, it would mean the handles are both too tall, which would make them an unidentified height, taller than Milspec or Commercial.

I have not, but the Ruger specs say it's F height and it's lined up perfectly with multiple sights and absolute co-witness optic mounts. So I have no reason to believe that the Ruger specs are wrong.
Maybe it is. Maybe the carry handle is out of spec. But there is just as much probability the front sight base is out of spec as the carry handle. As for co-witnessing an optic mounted on a co-witness mount, that can be achieved regardless of front sight/rear sight height as long as the Ruger supplied BUIS or any other rear sight used allows for iron sight zero. The aiming reticle of a zeroed RDS that sits on top of front sight post when looking through the zeroed irons says nothing about front sight base/rear sight height......Just saying.

Not to point out a little subject, but it could be significant if misunderstood,
the range at Bullseye is only 25yrds, ....not 50.
That could be a big factor if zeroed in there then moving outdoors and trying to hit targets.

Back
Top Bottom