• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry license expired

That is correct. Many of the county clerks know about the one dollar temp license fee when renewing a still valid license soon to expire, but how many of them know that you can still obtain one for one dollar within the 30 day limit!!

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-129
Weapons carry license; temporary renewal permit; mandamus; verification of license

(a) Application for weapons carry license or renewal license; term. The judge of the probate court of each county shall, on application under oath, on payment of a fee of $30.00, and on investigation of applicant pursuant to subsections (b) and (d) of this Code section, issue a weapons carry license or renewal license valid for a period of five years to any person whose domicile is in that county or who is on active duty with the United States armed forces and who is not a domiciliary of this state but who either resides in that county or on a military reservation located in whole or in part in that county at the time of such application. Such license or renewal license shall authorize that person to carry any weapon in any county of this state notwithstanding any change in that person's county of residence or state of domicile. Applicants shall submit the application for a weapons carry license or renewal license to the judge of the probate court on forms prescribed and furnished free of charge to persons wishing to apply for the license or renewal license. An application shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the applicant has a weapons carry license or renewal license with 90 or fewer days remaining before the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license or 30 or fewer days since the expiration of such weapons carry license or renewal license regardless of the county of issuance of the applicant's expired or expiring weapons carry license or renewal license. An applicant who is not a United States citizen shall provide sufficient personal identifying data, including without limitation his or her place of birth and United States issued alien or admission number, as the Georgia Bureau of Investigation may prescribe by rule or regulation. An applicant who is in nonimmigrant status shall provide proof of his or her qualifications for an exception to the federal firearm prohibition pursuant to 18 U.S.C. Section 922(y). Forms shall be designed to elicit information from the applicant pertinent to his or her eligibility under this Code section, including citizenship, but shall not require data which is nonpertinent or irrelevant, such as serial numbers or other identification capable of being used as a de facto registration of firearms owned by the applicant. The Department of Public Safety shall furnish application forms and license forms required by this Code section. The forms shall be furnished to each judge of each probate court within this state at no cost.

How many of y'all have ever had to show your carry permit for anything other than purchasing a firearm? I always carry concealed and it has never came up.
Had a very angry officer in Albany ask for mine 15 years ago
I think he was mad cause I had more fire power then he did. It was on car seat in the open. He was a hoot.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

In Cherokee county I was given the opportunity to buy a temporary permit for $1, to use until my permanent one arrived.
I was not given that option when I asked if there was anything I could do in the mean time until my renewal comes in. I went back today and specifically asked for a temp and got one for a dollar. It seems in Fulton they don't like to offer you one when you ask numerous times if there is any legal way to carry while waiting on renewal.

I was not given that option when I asked if there was anything I could do in the mean time until my renewal comes in. I went back today and specifically asked for a temp and got one for a dollar. It seems in Fulton they don't like to offer you one when you ask numerous times if there is any legal way to carry while waiting on renewal.
Glad you got it all squared away.

I'd carry anyway and if questioned by PD just show them your expired permit, your receipt for the re-issued permit and tell them you're waiting on your re-issue to arrive.

I would do this as well. Just last week a guy was shot and killed at a storage locker in Marietta....totally random to my knowledge and it sounds like the guy just needed his car. Nobody is going to give you slack about it if you truly needed it in a self defense scenario! If they do, I'm sure the ODT family will back you for help and support. Carry on brother!

Consider it a lesson learned and don't let it lapse again.

Back
Top Bottom