• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry License Renewal in DeKalb County....

atltrader

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
223   0
Reaction score
So I had to visit the DeKalb Probate Court down in Decatur yesterday to get my CCW license renewed. I accidentally went past the 30 day window from my expiration date shown on the license and wasn't entirely sure what they were going to tell me when I arrived. After handing over my drivers and CCW license to the clerk she starts to tell me that I have gone past the 30 day period and that I would have to go over to the Memorial Drive Police Station and go through the whole process all over again with a brand new background check and fingerprints to boot. :doh:

She sees that I'm supremely pissed/disgusted at myself for waiting so late to come in and get this squared away that after checking the paperwork I just filled out for the renewal she miraculously decided to do me the biggest favor and issue me the temporary license anyway.

Man, was I shocked to say the least! Luckily for me, there was no one else there in line when I arrived so I can only guess that maybe that was part of the reason she changed her mind. I thanked her probably eight or ten times and she knew I was very appreciative. I almost wanted to offer to buy her lunch for doing this most gracious gesture until I saw the word "Judge" printed next to where she signed the temporary license!! I thought to myself that I probably don't wan't to push my luck and give her the wrong impression.

Normally, this would not be a big deal but I was going to be traveling all through California (from San Diego to San Francisco) in a few weeks for work and already had a carry weapon stored in a company work van that has already been driven out to New Mexico from the previous week. Just knowing that I have that temporary license now means I wouldn't have to leave my pistol in storage somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico while I drive all over California with what could have been an expired license. Talk about dodging a bullet!

I don't think California will recognize your Ga carry permit, you should check.

Your correct, they don't recognize Ga permits along with many other permits. The way I understand the CA laws is that as long as you are transporting the weapon unloaded and locked away in a trunk or cargo-like area then you are within the law. If someone else has seen more updated info on transporting a firearm while traveling their then feel free to share.

I was asking the question cause of the 3 states mentioned only one has Reciprocity

Your correct, AZ is the only state of the three I listed that has reciprocity with GA if you choose to conceal carry while traveling their. But transporting a firearm can be done legally w/o the permit the way I have read it from the states websites.

Your correct, AZ is the only state of the three I listed that has reciprocity with GA if you choose to conceal carry while traveling their. But transporting a firearm can be done legally w/o the permit the way I have read it from the states websites.
Thank for the info

Back
Top Bottom