• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry medical gear!!!

steviesterno

Default rank <3500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
71   0
Reaction score
If not on you, nearby and in all vehicles. I’ve carried a gun for 2 decades and never shot anyone. I’ve been the first on the scene for 2 roll over accidents, many other small ones. Second was yesterday.

Have 911 on speed dial on your car if possible. Know where you are and dial 911 if there’s any doubt. Everyone else will be filming.

Get some basic training like stop the bleed or CPR or all that you can. Build a kit. Spend your next $100 in gun fun money on gear that might actually save someone’s bacon.

This has been today’s PSA

Put together mostly with stuff I already had. Easily under $100 (excluding light but that was already in the truck)

Attachments

• FA71A48F-79E9-421C-BAFB-1C7235DFDAC5.jpeg
    FA71A48F-79E9-421C-BAFB-1C7235DFDAC5.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 39
  • CFCB37C3-5779-4DA4-BA1F-94AF03276344.jpeg
    CFCB37C3-5779-4DA4-BA1F-94AF03276344.jpeg
    306.2 KB · Views: 39
I called 911 on a drunk driver from California on Monday I got stuck behind. The 911 operator wanted to argue with me about my location since I wasn't sure about which road I was on but she was as they were tracking my phone. He drove right past a GA state trooper on the side of the road who was too busy on his phone to care. The 911 operator took so long talking about HERself and her feelings that the driver finally turned off and headed back towards Newnan when the 911 operator wanted to transfer me to Coweta Co. Good thing nobody was hurt because calling 911 was a total **** show

well if calling 911 was EZ everybody'd be doing it.
Seems to me if that driver drove from Cali to Ga
while drunk they should have been pulled over
before he/she/it got this far.

100% agree. I've got IFAKS prepped for major trauma with multiple tourniquets in each vehicle, in my office at work and a larger kit in my house. When I was working a paramedic/LEO I used to carry an entire jump kit in my POV in case I came across an accident. I reduced that to what I carry now but something a simple as a $20-30 tourniquet could literally save someone's life.

Sub'd for more info. Anyone able to show what a "good" med kit for the car or office would include? I know that TruPrep carries a lot of that type of stuff but not exactly sure what would comprise a quality kit in the event you were the first responder in an accident situation? If someone who has experience carrying this stuff could provide a clear photo of all the essentials, I would imagine it would help many on here (me included) who have questions about what to get and what not to get. Love the idea from the OP though.

A "Good" Kit that I personally have in my truck:

You can take a Stop the Bleed classes, get Red Cross CPR/First Aide/ AED certified all for under a $100 and an afternoon.

cmshoot cmshoot puts on a medical class at Truprep 1 to 2 times a year, I've taken it twice as refresher courses as I'm TCCC certified.

When building a medical kit, don't cheap out but you don't have to spend $175 on one either. If you sign up for emails on North American Rescue website, they usually send 20% to 25% coupons and free shipping for orders over X amount.

Build your own IFAK basing it off what companies include in theirs's until you get use to what you like/need/want. Get just what you know how to use to start.

Remember- You are your own first responder!

image0.jpg

I called 911 on a drunk driver from California on Monday I got stuck behind. The 911 operator wanted to argue with me about my location since I wasn't sure about which road I was on but she was as they were tracking my phone. He drove right past a GA state trooper on the side of the road who was too busy on his phone to care. The 911 operator took so long talking about HERself and her feelings that the driver finally turned off and headed back towards Newnan when the 911 operator wanted to transfer me to Coweta Co. Good thing nobody was hurt because calling 911 was a total **** show
GSP operates on a different dispatching system. They don’t respond to 911 calls so they don’t really have 911 call-takers. Just so you know, it wasn’t that he didn’t care, he probably just didn’t know.

Good thread is good. Also, carry more than one tourniquet! It isn’t uncommon for more than one extremity to be injured.

Back
Top Bottom