• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry Optics for Beginner?

ponyboy96

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
9   0
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I’m new to uspsa or any shooting sport really. I’ve shot a couple of matches here and there and looking for opinions on changing from Limited to carry optics? I’m still learning a lot of the fundamentals, just wanted to get some thoughts on it. Is it best to stick to irons and basics or switch over and learn.

I'm pretty new also, but I started off in CO. At the beginning I was also shooting production. Most classifiers or stages with closer targets, there was really no difference between my scores. The more difficult the shots needed, the bigger the difference.

If you want to jump to CO, just do it.

If you already have a dot and a gun then there's not really any downside to it. I wouldn't necessarily tell someone to go buy a new gun and an optic for it. When you're first starting you're better off shooting what you have (within reason) for a bit and kinda figure out the basics of the game. Then figure out what you like.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

If you already have a dot and a gun then there's not really any downside to it. I wouldn't necessarily tell someone to go buy a new gun and an optic for it. When you're first starting you're better off shooting what you have (within reason) for a bit and kinda figure out the basics of the game. Then figure out what you like.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Well said Ron.

I love shooting CO. Just dry fire a bunch to get your presentation down.

Shooting a dot will help you with irons too. You can really dial in your grip by watching how the dot tracks in recoil.

It helped me a great deal. I knew my eyes were getting kinda bad, but I had no idea. Just the switch to a single focal plane has made me a far better shooter than I was. I did have to do a lot of draw and presentation work at first. Maybe 400 times or so.

Back
Top Bottom