• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry Permit Renewal in Fulton county

Openspaces

Default rank <1000 posts Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
79   0
Reaction score
Anyone know if permits can be renewed now? Mine expired in April and it reads as if they are "extending" the renewal but I cant find info on when the probate courts are opened back up. (Preferably the North Service Center @ 7741 Roswell Rd)

Looks like other counties may be opened back up.

"
We are not sure when all Probate courts are going to begin issuing new and renewals. If you are in need of either, please contact your Probate Court and ask. If you find out that it is and not on the list below, please let us know.

You will need to check with you local Probate Court and determine if they are open and what process they will expect you to follow in order to apply. As of this time, we know that the following Probate Courts are open today:

Barrow, Carroll, Chatham, Cherokee, Cobb, Coweta, Floyd, Hall, Houston, Laurens, Newton, Rabun, Walton and Worth will be accepting appointments as of May 14, 2020. If you hear of others opening, please let us know and we will update the list.

Clayton County has told one of our members that they are setting up a mail in renewal system and that all instructions should be available on their website tomorrow, May 15, 2020. If you live in Clayton County, call the Probate Court and ask for instructions.

Also, If your GWL is past renewal, here is what the Governor put in his Executive Order 05.08.20.01 about the extension of your GWL:

Now, THEREFORE, PURSUANT TO THE AFOREMENTIONED GEORGIA LAW, CODE SECTION 38-3-51, AND THE AUTHORITY VESTED IN ME AS THE GOVERNOR OF THE STATE OF GEORGIA, IT IS HEREBY

That the requirement under Code Section 16-11-129 that renewals of weapons carry licenses and renewal licenses must be applied for within thirty (30) days after the expiration of such licenses, is hereby suspended for weapons carry licenses and renewal licenses which expire between February 13, 2020 and June 12, 2020

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED

That applications for renewals of such weapons carry licenses and renewal licenses shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the holder of such weapons carry license or renewal license applies within 120 days after the expiration date on the face of license, and that if the Public Health State of Emergency is Extended, then this provision shall apply to any weapons carry license renewal license that expires during the Public Health State of Emergency

This is not what we originally asked for nor what we sued for but it is what we got. Remember, it is getting closer to election time and it is at least some relief for some of us. We will soon be able to stop carrying our AR 15s while wearing masks because we have no valid license as recommended by Federal Judge Steve Jones!"

https://www.georgiacarry.org/

"

IT IS FURTHER ORDERED

That applications for renewals of such weapons carry licenses and renewal licenses shall be considered to be for a renewal license if the holder of such weapons carry license or renewal license applies within 120 days after the expiration date on the face of license, and that if the Public Health State of Emergency is Extended, then this provision shall apply to any weapons carry license renewal license that expires during the Public Health State of Emergency

https://www.georgiacarry.org/
Thanks

Quick update.

Went to the North Service Center and filed for my renewal. The kicker is if you live in Roswell you still need to go to 141 Pryor Street.

Alpharetta and Sandy Springs residents can stay local for background checks. (Not sure why Roswell PD isn’t offering this or if they may open up to avoid the downtown trip)

Went downtown today and paid my $5 bucks and just need to wait now.

Couple tips
1) not sure if it’s gonna calm down but wait times are crazy if you waltz in late morning. I went 1/2hour before they open and wait was ok.
2) if you go downtown and have a “renewal” stamp make sure you tell The person managing the line you’re renewing. They took me direct to the pay window and skipped part of the wait. If you are starting fresh and need prints then the wait is alot longer.
3) if you’re close to a class iii purchase and need prints for your carry permit might make sense to get an extra set of cards rolled for submission.

Good luck / Stay safe.

Quick update.

Went to the North Service Center and filed for my renewal. The kicker is if you live in Roswell you still need to go to 141 Pryor Street.

Alpharetta and Sandy Springs residents can stay local for background checks. (Not sure why Roswell PD isn’t offering this or if they may open up to avoid the downtown trip)

Went downtown today and paid my $5 bucks and just need to wait now.

Couple tips
1) not sure if it’s gonna calm down but wait times are crazy if you waltz in late morning. I went 1/2hour before they open and wait was ok.
2) if you go downtown and have a “renewal” stamp make sure you tell The person managing the line you’re renewing. They took me direct to the pay window and skipped part of the wait. If you are starting fresh and need prints then the wait is alot longer.
3) if you’re close to a class iii purchase and need prints for your carry permit might make sense to get an extra set of cards rolled for submission.

Good luck / Stay safe.
Not sure i understand your comment about Roswell residents. I've always renewed mine at the North Fulton service center and taken the paperwork they give me to the Alpharetta PD. Has something changed?

Not sure i understand your comment about Roswell residents. I've always renewed mine at the North Fulton service center and taken the paperwork they give me to the Alpharetta PD. Has something changed?

Alpharetta PD is only accepting Alpharetta resident applications/renewals. So you can still go to North Service Center but you’ll need to drive downtown within 5 days of going to the probate court.

Back
Top Bottom