• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry Question - Private property carry

jjmikolacjik

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
25   0
Reaction score
I have been going over the carry laws in GA and it seems to me that you can carry on your own property. Yet what if your property is an apartment complex, do you need a GFL to carry on the premise? The entire complex is considered private property and there for should fall under the rule allowing you to carry however you want on your own property. IF anyone has the answer and would like to share it would be much appreciated.

I would think you would need the permission of the complex owner or an agent thereof. Kinda like when you want to shoot or hunt on another person's private land.

I personally would not take the risk. The only property that is "yours" is your apartment itself. At least that is how I see it.

I have done apartment management in the past. Although it is private property it is still leased out so be very careful. regular private property laws really do not apply to an apartment complex. For instance at my home I can say who comes on the property but at the coplex I could not say who drove on the grounds unless I took them to court amd got a restraining order. it's kinda screwed up.

I would think you would need the permission of the complex owner or an agent thereof. Kinda like when you want to shoot or hunt on another person's private land.

I personally would not take the risk. The only property that is "yours" is your apartment itself. At least that is how I see it.

Understood on this account. I have just been wondering as it seems like new neighbors have brought some shady activity to the complex and happen to live right above me. I hesitate to say that I have carried without a GFL before on the complex and about and due to this new tenant I am in the process of going through the hoops to get my GFl.

I have done apartment management in the past. Although it is private property it is still leased out so be very careful. regular private property laws really do not apply to an apartment complex. For instance at my home I can say who comes on the property but at the coplex I could not say who drove on the grounds unless I took them to court amd got a restraining order. it's kinda screwed up.

I wish you could stop people from coming in, then I would not have to have asked this question. New neighbors new shady activity and wanna be thuglets talking about pulling out their gats. One lifted up his shirt and showed me his ham bone the other day and just laughed. I was carrying on the complex and took the time to think if that was a threat or not before laughing it off. In order to avoid an idiotic confrontation that puts me in jail for defending myself I am looking to move to a new facility or house in VA but not much will be open until schools lets out in a few weeks.

I've been a landlord for over 10 years. When you sign a lease, you are leasing your unit and given permission to use the common areas - subject to the rules of the governing body. Only the unit you leased is "yours". If your lease includes a no firearms clause - it's binding if you signed it. You can't be sent to jail but you can be evicted. I'm sure the rules for your complex are available somewhere - you need to read them...

I should check my rental lease as well. I have a carry permit and I don't think there is anything against having firearms because half of my block is armed "good ol' boys" but I will anyway just for the hell of it.

I've been a landlord for over 10 years. When you sign a lease, you are leasing your unit and given permission to use the common areas - subject to the rules of the governing body. Only the unit you leased is "yours". If your lease includes a no firearms clause - it's binding if you signed it. You can't be sent to jail but you can be evicted. I'm sure the rules for your complex are available somewhere - you need to read them...

I have them in my lease and have read them and there is no fire-arm clause. It basically says use do not abuse common areas. You can use washer and dryer but pick up after yourself. Nothing about how to report suspicious activity or whom to report it to. I have talked with my landlord who is also the manager and he does not care about firearms or carrying I am just asking about the specific legality of it.

if you feel threatened you could just conceal. just realize there could be repercussions. have to weigh that out for yourself. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom