• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carry zero

Apollo

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
96   0
Reaction score
Just curious at what range you zero your carry size firearms. Personally with my red dots or adjustable sights i do at 15 yards. Any benefits going in or out? And do you practice with hold over afterwards. I know at that distance you could point and shoot and hit but what do you prefer?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On guns with adjustable sights, which most of my defensive handguns DO NOT have, I generally sight them in for 115 grain FMJ range ammo at a distance of 25 yards. Because that's what I want to be good at when I'm training and doing matches. I can memorize the hold-under for closer distances.

I realize this isn't the best thing from a tactical standpoint, because I normally carry 124 gr. hollowpoints, not 115 gr. ball ammo, for defense. And some of my guns shoot 124's to a very different point of impact. Several inches different! But, odds are I'll never ever have to take a well-aimed shot at any significant distance in a defensive situation, but I will be training, competing in matches, and trying to win a bet with my buddies over who'll buy the first round of beer after the range visit is over. So, I sight-in for the "target/ match/ qualification shoot" scenario.

I try to memorize the hold-over for the different weight and style of my defensive carry ammo.

P.S. A few years ago, I took 3 shots at a man-sized target at 200 yards with a compact carry 9mm. Got one hit, and one on the paper just off the target's body by a couple inches.

Earlier this year I tried 5 shots with a .38 snubby at 100 yards and never hit paper at all. I need to practice that a bit more.

I don't use optics on my SD handguns, but I like the irons to be dead on at 7 yards. The bullet is still rising at that range so it's good all the way to 25, no problem.

I shoot 2 liter coke bottles at 100 yards consistently with Iron sights...............So whatever floats your boat.

Back
Top Bottom