• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

carrying a gun after an accident occurs and police offer you a ride home

dakota port

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
178   0
Reaction score
i did not carry a gun when i had a accident in which i was given a ride home in the back of police car (my car frame was bent to much for me to drive it safely).

if i was open carrying a gun at the time and the police officer offered me a ride home after my car was damaged and had no one else to drive me the 11 miles there, what should be the procedure before getting in the police car

Last edited:
This has happened to me before.

I keep a Glock in the car at all times and my car wreck disabled my car completely.

Told the officer I needed to remove the gun when he offered me a ride home and he told me no problem, just don't point it at me.

Didn't have to unload it, give it to him etc. He was very cool about it and even asked me how I liked shooting it and where I go to do so.

id figure tell the officer and let him get it and put it in his trunk or something. it would be the same with anyone i guess, if im getting into a car with a buddy or going into someones house i let them know im armed generally as a courtesy

I keep a Glock in the car at all times and my car wreck disabled my car completely.

Told the officer I needed to remove the gun when he offered me a ride home and he told me no problem, just don't point it at me.

Didn't have to unload it, give it to him etc. He was very cool about it and even asked me how I liked shooting it and where I go to do so.

Hadn't thought about this scenario....guess I better put a duffle bag in the truck so I can load out if I have a wreck...LOL!

Every officer's different, mine needed to conduct the investigation, I don't have my permit so He asked if he could place it in his cruiser. TOld him that'd be fine. After the investigation the officer placed my firearm in the back of the explorer i left the scene in and politely asked if I not loaded it til he left..DIdn't hur tmy feelings any.

Common professional courtesy dictates that you inform him that you have a "legal" firearm and you’re carrying. You are a force multiplier. You are not a threat, quite the opposite in fact.

If the reaction is otherwise then he is an asshole.

Last edited:
Common professional courtesy dictates that you inform him that you have a "legal" firearm and you’re carrying. You are a force multiplier. You are not a threat, quite the opposite in fact.

If the reaction is otherwise then he is uninformed, and poorly trained.

Fixed it for you. :)

Back
Top Bottom