• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Carrying in car without license.

2018 Georgia Code
Title 16
Chapter 11
Article 4
Part 3
§ 16-11-126.

Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

this is 2018 GA Law. Am I reading this wrong?
You are reading it 'wrong' if you are trying to apply that section (which is only part 'c') to a vehicle. It has nothing to do with a vehicle. It's about carrying on your person. If you don't have a governmental issued permission slip, you can not carry a loaded handgun on your person. This is the entire section including section 'a' and section 'd' which address carrying in your vehicle and the vehicle of a private third party.

O.C.G.A.§ 16-11-126
Having or carrying handguns, long guns, or other weapons; license requirement; exceptions for homes, motor vehicles, private property, and other locations and conditions

(a) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a weapon or long gun on his or her property or inside his or her home, motor vehicle, or place of business without a valid weapons carry license.

(b) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry on his or her person a long gun without a valid weapons carry license, provided that if the long gun is loaded, it shall only be carried in an open and fully exposed manner.

(c) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun may have or carry any handgun provided that it is enclosed in a case and unloaded.

(d) Any person who is not prohibited by law from possessing a handgun or long gun who is eligible for a weapons carry license may transport a handgun or long gun in any private passenger motor vehicle; provided, however, that private property owners or persons in legal control of private property through a lease, rental agreement, licensing agreement, contract, or any other agreement to control access to such private property shall have the right to exclude or eject a person who is in possession of a weapon or long gun on their private property in accordance with paragraph (3) of subsection (b) of Code Section 16-7-21, except as provided in Code Section 16-11-135.

I was told by the hall county probate court 3 months ago that if you did not have a carry permit, you can have a firearm in your car but it was illegal to have it loaded.

I asked this question specifically because my permit had expired and I was waiting on my new one when all this covid crap happened.
Don’t trust cops and apparently judges to give you info. I was asked to step out of my car by some little **** in commerce a couple years ago when he saw my gun. I refused to hand it over but since Pennsylvania vs mimms says law enforcement can remove you from the vehicle till the stop is completed I voluntarily offered to get out to put distance between myself and the weapon because he obviously felt uncomfortable. When I stepped to the back he opened my door retrieved my gun unloaded it and berated me for carrying it loaded which is illegal in Georgia. Moral of the story, do what you feel you need to do within your rights of ga law. Read and become familiar with them and above all don’t trust others especially cops or those who just want your money. Like probate judges who charge you for a constitutional right which btw is illegal. But since they are the government laws don’t apply

You got an opinion in Post #3 from a lawyer who wrote a book about gun laws in GA, but decided to get your legal advice from a LEO instead?
I was a little taken aback when I first read this. But I see how you could perceive that in a bad way. When I wrote this I was hoping @GAgunLAWbooklet would respond because I know what he has to say is very valuable and true. And I absolutely believe what he put. But I do home health with the guys father who is a retired state patrol and decided to ask him to see what he would have to say. Just because I do believe what was said in this post, I did want to see what he would say. He’s a very good man with a lot of integrity. We happened to be talking about current crazy stuff in our country so I saw it as a positive that he seconded, as an LEO that usually not trusted, exactly what was said here

Your vehicle is an extension of your home, if you're legal with a gun there, you're legal in the car.
same as at home, defend your ground applies,
However, I wouldn't go hunting someone to show it off to
Your car is not an extension of your home. It is however your personal property.
O.C.G.A. § 16-11-126

Back
Top Bottom