• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Case blowout

SimonBelmont

Default rank <750 posts
Just an animal
40   0
Reaction score
Anyone ever had a case blowout from factory ammo?
An older family member who was emptying out their safe gave me a half empty box of Atlanta Arms 9mm.
I considered not shooting it because of the obvious age, but figured what the hell.

The very first round blew out at the head of the case then stovepiped.
I got some light powder burn on the hand and caught some shrapnel just under my eye, but nothing serious.
I threw out the balance.

At first I figured it was just a bad round due to the age, but then noticed the Winchester head stamp. I'd never heard of Atlanta Arms before, but it may make more sense if they were reloads.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_5764.jpg
    IMG_5764.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
Had this 8mm mauser blow out on me scared the crap out of me. Then the head completely split on ejection looks like a laser cut it. Rifle did what it was supposed to do and vented the gas straight up and away from the me. But the the feelings and fire right in front of my face scared me. And hell **** yeah I shot the rest of the ammo through the same rifle. Gotta get back on that horse lol.
IMG_20190802_203907_127.jpg

Had this 8mm mauser blow out on me scared the crap out of me. Then the head completely split on ejection looks like a laser cut it. Rifle did what it was supposed to do and vented the gas straight up and away from the me. But the the feelings and fire right in front of my face scared me. And hell **** yeah I shot the rest of the ammo through the same rifle. Gotta get back on that horse lol.View attachment 2450883
Damn that would scare the **** out of somebody. Especially being an 8mm. The case didn’t get stuck in the chamber? Most of the time with case head separation the head ejects but the case expands and gets stuck in the chamber.

Damn that would scare the **** out of somebody. Especially being an 8mm. The case didn’t get stuck in the chamber? Most of the time with case head separation the head ejects but the case expands and gets stuck in the chamber.

hell yeah it got stuck. I tossed them in the tumbler to clean up all the soot to look a better idea of what caused it. But it took an extractor to get the rest of the case out.

Back
Top Bottom