• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

case bulge on .45acp

Eglock86

Default rank <4500 posts
ODT Junkie!
49   0
Reaction score
So I'm pretty new to reloading and am currently only loading .45 but moving to other calibers in the next few weeks. Anyway I'm using a lee classic turret press w a 4 die set. I'm getting a slight bulge on one side of the case iv done some research and iv tried seating it a little and turning it before finishing the seat. Iv watched very close and my bullets are being set straight. II'm using hornady XTP.451 230GR. And winchester RN FMJ .451 230gr.
Any help would be great
thanks

Before depriming or after bullet seating?

Before depriming excess pressure or lack of case support. After bullet seating the bullet is cocked and not straight.

Insure your resizing die is seated properly. It should be adjusted with the die kissing the case holder at full stroke of the lever then back it off a tad for full length resizing.

Clear pictures would be awesome.

Last edited:
I agree with Ram!
is this fired brass from a Glock??
the 45 acp is a fairly low pressure round and a bulge would be unusual in my experience.
on one side??
sounds like a unsupported case.

Thanks, I will get some good pics when I get home tonight, the case looks fine until the bullet is seated.
Before depriming or after bullet seating?

Before depriming excess pressure or lack of case support. After bullet seating the bullet is cocked and not straight.

Insure your resizing die is seated properly. It should be adjusted with the die kissing the case holder at full stroke of the lever then back it off a tad for full length resizing.

Clear pictures would be awesome.

Yea Eric I'd like to see a picture too!
I've never had this happen with the same equipment on the same caliber, so I'm really interested....

I'm thinking, if there's nothing in the seating die causing it to push at an angle, maybe you just have a bad die.
I guess it's possible? I'd be tempted to pull that die and unscrew it to eyeball it for uniformity....

You know I have the same equipment and I've reloaded a host of different calibers, but I've never seen a case with a bulge in it .....

Last edited:
I assume you are talking about a bulge that occurs after the bullet is seated and the bulge is right where the base of the bullet stops inside the case.

Your sizing die is resizing the case more than needed, or your brass has thick case walls.

The good news is: it will probably shoot just fine.

The cure is: try a different die, or different brass.

Some bullseye shooters use a 45Colt sizing die instead of an ACP die to help prevent the bulge. It works, as long as the bullet will chamber.

Check out this link for a ton of info on the 1911 and Bullseye Shooting. The is some reloading info, as well.

http://www.bullseyepistol.com

Last edited:
I have had a similar issue with 9mm as I load a bunch of those. I typically find that it is common to a specific brass manufacturer like CBC or PPU. Federal, Winchester and others don't seem to have this problem.
My question is, does it happen on all your brass or just certain ones? Also, get you a Lee factory crimp die and use it to crimp your loads if you don't already have one.
I do a final check on my loads by dropping some, especially ones that show a slight bulge, in a barrel out of one of my pistols. This checks to make sure the will feed freely. If they fall in freely then they are good to go. If they hang up then set them aside and pull the bullets.
Again I believe this to be a brass issue and nothing wrong with the reloading equipment.
JMO

Back
Top Bottom