• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Catfish filleting question

I used to do a fish fry for a block party.

Mixed catch of freshwater fish.

Panfish, I would fry whole, - catfish, white bass, black bass filet, except for squealers - lover frying squealers whole.

Invariably some millennial would say:

1. This tastes fishy.

2, OMG, this has bones in it, you didn't warn us that it had bones in it, (and, "I can't let my child eat this")

I used to do a fish fry for a block party.

Mixed catch of freshwater fish.

Panfish, I would fry whole, - catfish, white bass, black bass filet, except for squealers - lover frying squealers whole.

Invariably some millennial would say:

1. This tastes fishy.

2, OMG, this has bones in it, you didn't warn us that it had bones in it, (and, "I can't let my child eat this")

Geez. Thank God I’m a country boy.

Same here but I feed some picky eaters that I’m trying to introduce to foods they haven’t liked in the past. There may come a time soon where there may not be much of a selection of meats in the stores.
You got that right. Maybe try different breadings and cornmeals? Soak in buttermilk was discussed. Cocktail sauce or lemon juice maybe?

I never understood the fishy, gamey thing. Fish is fish and game is game. It doesn’t taste like chicken or beef. I think those of us raised on fish and game are just familiar with the taste and to those raised on chicken and beef, it’s foreign. Wood duck, for instance, has an earthy flavor almost similar to acorns and I like it. Most would probably not because it doesn’t taste like beef. So they use cream cheese, jalapeños, bacon, etc to mask the flavor. To each their own I suppose.

I never understood the fishy, gamey thing. Fish is fish and game is game. It doesn’t taste like chicken or beef. I think those of us raised on fish and game are just familiar with the taste and to those raised on chicken and beef, it’s foreign. Wood duck, for instance, has an earthy flavor almost similar to acorns and I like it. Most would probably not because it doesn’t taste like beef. So they use cream cheese, jalapeños, bacon, etc to mask the flavor. To each their own I suppose.
Reason tilapia is so popular is:

(a) it's cheap, but it;s really not a lot cheaper than other fish that isn't raised in Asian sewers.

and

(b) it has no inherent flavor, and so takes on the flavor of whatever or however it's cooked. This aspect is actually mentioned in several cookbooks. So restaurants like it because they can flavor it how ever they want, and no one has any expectations of how it should taste.

Back
Top Bottom