• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CB/GMRS radio help

This stuff is all way outside of my knowledge. Wanting something for offroad use mainly. Nothing amazing. Prefer a handheld unit, not something that I need to mount. What should I get and why? CB vs GMRS?

Find out what the groups your going out with use. CB will have a longer range (maybe), and a larger antenna, but shorter battery life. GMRS/FRS will have shorter range with smaller antennas, but better battery life in a handheld.

As for what to buy, you can get a 2 or 3 pack of Motorola GMRS/FRS in the $100 range. A good CB handheld will run you that each.

I’m assuming you mean FRS, not GMRS as GMRS requires a license. If you are just looking for something to use like a walkie talkie at relatively close range the FRS radios will do very well. CBs are dead, for the most part, and should not be revived.

I’m assuming you mean FRS, not GMRS as GMRS requires a license. If you are just looking for something to use like a walkie talkie at relatively close range the FRS radios will do very well. CBs are dead, for the most part, and should not be revived.
I was thinking GMRS. Looked liked the license was only $70 fpr 10 years. Was under the understanding that CB is dead/dying.

Find out what the groups your going out with use. CB will have a longer range (maybe), and a larger antenna, but shorter battery life. GMRS/FRS will have shorter range with smaller antennas, but better battery life in a handheld.

As for what to buy, you can get a 2 or 3 pack of Motorola GMRS/FRS in the $100 range. A good CB handheld will run you that each.
I don't really have a group of friends doing this atm. Most of em are lesbians and drive Subarus. Lol. Morely want one to get out on trails with and call for help when I do something particularly stupid. Lol

I don't really have a group of friends doing this atm. Most of em are lesbians and drive Subarus. Lol. Morely want one to get out on trails with and call for help when I do something particularly stupid. Lol

If you're looking for that, GMRS and joining a repeater group is the way to go. Radio's capable of that are going to run a bit more, you'll want to talk to the repeater group to see what they recommend. There's a pretty big network in Georgia, but the name isn't coming to mind currently.

If you're just looking for 2 ways coms, Motorola Talkabouts are about the best option. There are numerous accessories, and Motorola tends to support their stuff. I also have some Cobra, but the Motorola's are better in all ways (batter life, accessories, durability).

I have a pair of these, and the work pretty well for hiking, etc... The weather radio with alerts is very useful also. If you shop around you can get 3-6 pack bundles.
https://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Talkabout-T460-Rechargeable-Two-Way/dp/B00W75BKQ4

CB isn't going to help much unless you're keying a buttload of power and swinging even more. A Sat phone with the cheapest available tlk plan is your only real way to be able to reach someone

Back
Top Bottom