• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CCI Magnum Primers OK for non-magnum load?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rush_Fan

Default rank <1250 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
160   0
Reaction score
I have 1000 CCI Large Pistol Magnum primers my wife bought me by mistake instead of regular non-magnum primers. I load .45 acp, .44 Special and .44 Magnum with Win 231 powder and cast lead bullets in light to medium loads.

I don't foresee me loading with Win 296 or other powders requiring magnum primers. Can I use these primers instead of non-magnum primers or should I trade/sell them? Retail store won't take them back for liability reasons, like I figured.

They won't take them back, for sure. You can use Magnum primers but depending on the load, may want to dial back the charge a bit.
If it's a middle of the charge weight then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a max charge you may want to consider shaving a bit.

They won't take them back, for sure. You can use Magnum primers but depending on the load, may want to dial back the charge a bit.
If it's a middle of the charge weight then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a max charge you may want to consider shaving a bit.

This covers it . On a rifle you normally back off a full grain for a magnum primer .

I would shoot the .44 Specials in my .44 Mag for light range loads, load the .44 Magnum to .44 Magnum and use the magnum primers for those typically slower burning, bulkier powders that may benefit from them.

But yeah as mentioned might dial a max load back but that doesn't appear to be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom