• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CD Rate

why mess with CDs when a standard savings account online now offers 2.3% and up?

i have an account with cibc (canadian bank bought portion of amerigroup or something so its their US branch) and they give me 2.39%. a bit of a pain to set up compared to others but after its just fine and im tossing my extra cash in there as a holding account

Good advice.
But not everyone is in the same situation of a single CD to keep after.
Fast forward into your 90s and keep up with your laddered CDs. You’re constantly moving them around chasing better rates and then ask yourself where your CDs are on any given day.
I did that (and still do, but not so many anymore).
Not that hard to keep a record, just enter 'em when you move 'em or update when they roll over.

Banks seem to be a rip-off. Ive got a money market account that I’ve made less than $3 in 7 months on $7500. Gonna move it soon.
Let me tell you about a bank rip off. Take your pick between SunTrust, Wells Fargo or BB&T and they all do this. Take a check in there to cash with THEIR BANK NAME on it. Then they ask if you have an account with them. Hell no! And don't want one! Okay that's when they tell you it's gonna be $7.00 to cash the check. AND to rub a little salt in it...BB&T told me they needed a SECOND PHOTO ID. What the ****!? I got so loud and Redneck about that folks around me were getting nervous looking.
Wells Fargo is a known bunch of crooks and thieves. I used to have to cash paychecks with them when we were in Darien. So that meant I had to drive to downtown Brunswick. They have one branch there and one on St Simons. I went through the $7.00 strong arm routine with the teller at the downtown branch. And that smartass little bitch said "Well you could open an account here and avoid the fee." So I said " Well where is yall's Darien branch located?" She said " We don't have a branch in Darien." So I naturally responded with "Well then why in the hell would I wanna open an account with a bunch of known crooks that ain't even got a location in my town?" I can get downright ugly when it comes to dealing with Megabanks.

I miss Jimmy Carter's term and the 15+% cd rates.
'Course my friends with the 17% home loans at the time, not so much.
Yeah but back then $5.00 and $6.00 an hour for pay was pretty big money back then, so all in all the folks with high home loans was really paying for the big CD rates. My first house was 12% in 1979 and was not simple interest.

Let me tell you about a bank rip off. Take your pick between SunTrust, Wells Fargo or BB&T and they all do this. Take a check in there to cash with THEIR BANK NAME on it. Then they ask if you have an account with them. Hell no! And don't want one! Okay that's when they tell you it's gonna be $7.00 to cash the check. AND to rub a little salt in it...BB&T told me they needed a SECOND PHOTO ID. What the ****!? I got so loud and Redneck about that folks around me were getting nervous looking.
Wells Fargo is a known bunch of crooks and thieves. I used to have to cash paychecks with them when we were in Darien. So that meant I had to drive to downtown Brunswick. They have one branch there and one on St Simons. I went through the $7.00 strong arm routine with the teller at the downtown branch. And that smartass little ***** said "Well you could open an account here and avoid the fee." So I said " Well where is yall's Darien branch located?" She said " We don't have a branch in Darien." So I naturally responded with "Well then why in the hell would I wanna open an account with a bunch of known crooks that ain't even got a location in my town?" I can get downright ugly when it comes to dealing with Megabanks.
They are all scumbags. Due to the recent repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, banks are now investment firms disguised to look like banks. When you give them your money, it is no longer yours.

Sir Josiah Stamp, president of the Rothschild Bank of England and the second richest man in Britain in the 1920s, said the following in 1927 at the University of Texas:

“The modern Federal Reserve banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. Bankers own the Earth. Take their wealth away from them but leave them the power to create money, and with a flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. But if you want to continue to be the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the Federal Reserve bankers continue to create money and control credit.”

They are all scumbags. Due to the recent repeal of the Glass-Steagall Act, banks are now investment firms disguised to look like banks. When you give them your money, it is no longer yours.

Sir Josiah Stamp, president of the Rothschild Bank of England and the second richest man in Britain in the 1920s, said the following in 1927 at the University of Texas:

“The modern Federal Reserve banking system manufactures money out of nothing. The process is perhaps the most astounding piece of sleight of hand that was ever invented. Banking was conceived in inequity and born in sin. Bankers own the Earth. Take their wealth away from them but leave them the power to create money, and with a flick of a pen, they will create enough money to buy it back again. Take this great power away from them and all great fortunes like mine will disappear, for then this would be a better and happier world to live in. But if you want to continue to be the slaves of bankers and pay the cost of your own slavery, then let the Federal Reserve bankers continue to create money and control credit.”
I need to check the library for a book about how the Federal Reserve was created. The title was something like The Creature from Jekyll island. It seems as though the big money guys from early in the last century all had a secret meeting at Jekyll around the middle to the end of the Great Depression to come up with this great money printing machine that's not a government agency and answers to no one. Hey what could go wrong?

I need to check the library for a book about how the Federal Reserve was created. The title was something like The Creature from Jekyll island. It seems as though the big money guys from early in the last century all had a secret meeting at Jekyll around the middle to the end of the Great Depression to come up with this great money printing machine that's not a government agency and answers to no one. Hey what could go wrong?
yep, that's it.

Wells Fargo is a known bunch of crooks and thieves. I used to have to cash paychecks with them when we were in Darien. So that meant I had to drive to downtown Brunswick. They have one branch there and one on St Simons. I went through the $7.00 strong arm routine with the teller at the downtown branch. And that smartass little ***** said "Well you could open an account here and avoid the fee." So I said " Well where is yall's Darien branch located?" She said " We don't have a branch in Darien." So I naturally responded with "Well then why in the hell would I wanna open an account with a bunch of known crooks that ain't even got a location in my town?" I can get downright ugly when it comes to dealing with Megabanks.

F Wells Fargo. After my parents passed I was executor of the estate. I had a life insurance check drawn on Wells Fargo. When I went to deposit it in the bank where I set up the estate account they told me they would be holding it for at least 10 days. Well I had already wrote some checks assuming the check would clear. I went to Wells Fargo in Brunswick to cash it and they would not. I had several forms of ID and all of my estate paperwork. They refused because I didn't have an account with them. I was pissed. I thought they were going to call the cops. I made a scene. Fortunately I was able to go back to my bank and talk the manager into releasing the funds like a normal check. I'll never do business with Wells Fargo. EVER.

Back
Top Bottom