• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CDL In Progress - A Few Questions

Scraper

Marines Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 2
Frontiersman
71   0
Reaction score
Current CLP holder, trying to get my foot in the door of a trucking school to get my CDL. End goal is to buy a truck for personal use that I can spruce up and make into a mechanically sound "show truck" of sorts. Nothing crazy, just a nice/clean/reliable rig to take pride in. I grew up riding shotgun with a few family friends on day runs around GA/FL/AL/TN/SC/NC and have been hooked ever since. Having my CDL and a personal rig could also give me some potential flexibility at my current employer. I'm already gainfully employed and wouldn't be looking to turn driving into a job, but having a CDL in my back pocket would never be a bad thing.

On this journey to CDL acquisition and truck ownership, I've pulled together a few questions:

1. Best school local to Atlanta that meets ELDT requirements, offers weekends, uses manual transmissions in their trucks, and actually contacts you back regarding an inquiry? I've reached out to Katlaw but it has been radio silence on their end so far. I suspect they're either packed with students or they've simmered down going into the holidays. I've also glanced at Daly's in Buford. They're a bit off the beaten path for me, but I could make it work if they're good to go. Most of the other schools I've found either use automatic transmissions on their trucks or they won't bring you in if they don't have a chance of placing you in a job upon graduation.

2. Opinions on best powerplant for a rig in regards to simplicity and longevity? Cummins, CAT, PACCAR, Detroit? I'm not concerned with having the highest horsepower or torque. I want something that's easy to wrench on for basic maintenance, is easy to find a shop for the larger jobs, has good parts availability, and tends to run well with minimal fuss. I'm looking at the following trucks, which come with a variety of engine choices: Peterbilt 379 or 389, Kenworth W900, Freightliner Classic XL. I'm also not opposed to a nice 80's or 90's era cabover but they're a bit harder to find.

3. What are the chances of someone in my position (CLP holder) finding an O/O that would allow me some seat time in their rig in a closed yard to practice basic backing maneuvers and such? I wouldn't be so bold as to ask someone to allow me on the road in their rig, as that has it's own laundry list of liabilities. I also can't imagine a company driver in a company truck could help with such a request. I simply want to calibrate myself on the dynamics of a modern 5th wheel combination setup. I had a lot of time at the wheel of HMMWVs, MRAPs, and 7-tons in the Corps, but that was 12 years ago at this point and everything was bumper pull. CDL school will give me this kind of hands-on, but I've got to find my way into one first and even then, time at the wheel is split between multiple students and very limited.

I went to Chattahoochee tech years ago for their cdl program. Was reasonably priced at the time and great instructors. Was shocked by some of the things I saw or heard from other new drivers out of other schools.

I went to Chattahoochee tech years ago for their cdl program. Was reasonably priced at the time and great instructors. Was shocked by some of the things I saw or heard from other new drivers out of other schools.
I did see that Chattahoochee Tech offered a CDL course out of their Acworth location, but wasn't able to dig up whether or not they offer weekends. I'd prefer to go there and utilize my GI Bill. Do you happen to remember if weekends were an option? I should see if I can touch base with their Admissions office.

When I took my CDL back in 2013, I went to this school and they were just FANTASTIC. All teachers so great and friendly. And they have their own trucks (many); they take you to the Motor Vehicle for the test.

Screenshot (102).png

That's my sticking point. I'm already employed and have no intention of leaving my current job. If I were trying to dive into trucking as a career this would all be much easier haha.
That's what I did.
First, I didn't want to leave my current job at the time.
Secondly, I didn't want to have my arse tied to any company for years to come. Because they send you to school, BUT it is not for free!!

Back
Top Bottom