• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CDL In Progress - A Few Questions

Wherever you look to go to s hook try to sit in for a day or at very least ask current former students. A lot of spend your hard earned $ for nothing operations listed as cdl schools.

When I took my CDL back in 2013, I went to this school and they were just FANTASTIC. All teachers so great and friendly. And they have their own trucks (many); they take you to the Motor Vehicle for the test.

View attachment 5025270
Katlaw is the main one that I'm scouting. Hoping to hear back from them in the near future. Definitely nice to see a positive endorsement for them. Much appreciated 😁

Wherever you look to go to s hook try to sit in for a day or at very least ask current former students. A lot of spend your hard earned $ for nothing operations listed as cdl schools.
Yeah I've come across a handful of places that look pretty sketch. It's also a little offputting to see some of the no-name places that are listed on the DDS page for the newly imposed ELDT training requirement. No way in hell DDS is vetting some of them haha!

The route that I took was around 30 years ago but it worked out great for me and a few friends that I know.

I started working for an LTL trucking company in the evening on the dock loading and offloading trailers. I made friends with the yard dog guys and asked if they would mind helping me get familiar with operating heavy equipment. I started doing this after my shift ended but quickly learned and transitioned from the dock to the yard. I ended up acquiring my CDL through this company all the while getting supplemental income and all the seat time I needed.

With the right connections and your willingness to work at it this could be an option for you too.

And my personal preference is the early 2000’s KW single cab, chromed out, with white rock lights and a cool sound system 🤷‍♂️🇺🇸

The route that I took was around 30 years ago but it worked out great for me and a few friends that I know.

I started working for an LTL trucking company in the evening on the dock loading and offloading trailers. I made friends with the yard dog guys and asked if they would mind helping me get familiar with operating heavy equipment. I started doing this after my shift ended but quickly learned and transitioned from the dock to the yard. I ended up acquiring my CDL through this company all the while getting supplemental income and all the seat time I needed.

With the right connections and your willingness to work at it this could be an option for you too.

And my personal preference is the early 2000’s KW single cab, chromed out, with white rock lights and a cool sound system 🤷‍♂️🇺🇸
That doesn't sound like a bad route at all. Definitely gives me an angle to explore. Much appreciated 😁

Fine taste in truck configuration there too 👍

Do you plan on driving a rig solely for personal use? If so you don’t need a cdl just training.
Yes, solely for personal use. I've heard that the CDL isn't required for non-commercial use. I've also heard that the burden of proving you aren't using the truck for commercial purposes can become quite a nightmare if you get stopped for any reason. There's conflicting info on whether or not the GVWR of the vehicle necessitates a CDL. I figured I'd play it safe, get my CDL to avoid any potential friction with LE, and it gives me a good Plan B should I need to branch into a new career for any reason.

Back
Top Bottom