• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cell Cameras - I Need Advice

buttplate

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
97   0
Reaction score
I own several trail cameras but none are cell. Before I jump into the water I ALWAYS ask my ODT brothers for their advice because there are many knowledgeable friends and I value each opinion.

Ok, here we go.

My hunting lease has spotty cell coverage but one spot is better than others. ATT is spotty there and nonexistent in most spots.

I need input on best coverage and since $$$ is always a factor who has the best priced plan available. Are there any tricks to get more for your money?

Thanks in advance.

Tactacam Reveal X-Pro or XB(if you can find them). They come with both ATT/Verizon SIM cards. You pick the one you want to use. The monthly charge per SIM gets lower each one you add (1=$18 per month, 2 = $25 per month, etc). You can suspend cards in the off-season if you choose to which is very cool (only recommended if leaving off for more than 30 days). They do charge extra if you want video or HD, it's on demand though so you can choose if and what video/HD you may or may not want. The app is very easy to use.

I wish I would have made the switch to cell years ago. One thing you need to be aware of, regardless of manufacture, cell cameras EAT batteries. I used lithium batteries when I first got mine, thinking it would last longer, and they do, but after a month I realized it was going to eat me up in battery cost. I bought solar panels for each and haven't changed batteries since (matter of fact, still read 100%). No brainer upgrade in my opinion. The panels cost me $60 each but I was putting in almost $20 a month in lithium batteries so, that was an easy decision to make.

FWIW, a buddy of mine only uses Exodus cameras and have been great. They are pricey but great products and cheap monthly. They come with a great warranty. Gotta weigh out the price per unit and see if it's worth it. He pays $30 a month for 5 cameras with no extra cost for video or HD.

I use 3 different tactacam reveals. I have 2 gen 1 cameras and an Xb with solar panel. I have thought about going to wise eye because of picture clarity and the software they use is pretty neat.

As far as service goes, what you get on your cellphone doesn't make a hill of beans when it comes to a cell camera. The antennas draw in a signal much better than our cell phones. I can take you to a spot on my property that gets zero cell reception yet my camera has perfect signal.

I have been very pleased with my reveal cameras, the 3 combined have taken over 40k pictures since October of 2020 when I put my first 2 out. They use up batteries, but with with the right settings they don't go through them as fast. I change batteries in the two that take AA batteries about every other month to once a month depending on how many pics it takes. If you're in an area that you can put a solar panel up I would recommend a 12v battery and solar panel as your power source. It is much cheaper in the long run. Personally I have the unlimited plan, for 3 camera it's $37 a month, they knock a few bucks off if you pay for the whole year in advance. Mine stay out all year, the only time I pulled them from the woods is when the timber was cut but they went back out a couple weeks later.

From my experience I wouldn't waste my time on a spypoint, the picture quality isn't there compared to a wise eye, spartan, or tactacam. The only thing better about a spy point is the price. Just like with much of everything else in the world though you get what you pay for.

Tactacam has been the best for me so far. Moultrie plays out eventually other cheap ones were cheap and didnt perform well.

Reconyx if money is not an issue.
Do you have a link and money is ALWAYS an issue. With that said cheap is never the way to go.

Reveal tactacam—-I’m on Verizon run 12 cams flawless this is 2 nd year I think it’s 12$ month each unlimited.

Back
Top Bottom