• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cerakote Horror stories

My first Cerakote was a revolver. Coating was so thick the revolver wouldnt revolve. Took being left for a few months before the problem was resolved.

Second was an old Sig P6. Inside the slide was so thick that the barrel dropped early and would not assemble. Required a Sig Smith to resolve the problem.

I know a lot of guns are factory coated and Ive seen the coating chip relatively easy. When compared to other treatments, Cerakote seems pretty $#!htty.

Perhaps it was just the coater or maybe its the product. Either way I have lost all faith in Cerakote for anything I plan to do in the future.

Im sure there are great experiences but, Id like to hear any issues you may have had.
Sounds like duracoat? which does suck.

One of my "professional" applications was sub par and a guy refining his procedure. My second was by a straight up pro, armorers black cerakote, and kydex knocked it off within 100 draws or less (doesn't bug me, always expect holster wear) but it didn't impress me in the sense that a regular OEM finish would wear the same within the same amount of time? Has this been others experience?
Another is a M&P 2.0 factory Cerakoted in FDE. Kydex is knocking that off no problem but I'm at several thousand rounds several hundred draws. Doesn't bug me just an observation.
Does it seem that Cerakote is potentially AS good as most mil-spec anodized finishes but not better?
Like DAD10 said of course its not gravel proof but I'm seeing it isn't even Better than original other than cool guy colors available. I've currently got a 42 Cerakoted by a professional applicator in patriot brown. It rides 95% of the time in a soft "sticky" holster so for 2 weeks obviously it's still looking great. Im waiting 8-10 weeks for a damn alpha wolf gold TiN BBL then the gun is complete and will be kydex carried and shot to the tune of 500+ a month at least so time will tell on both the cerakote AND the TiN bbl PVD coating

I once had an FAL cerakoted. The service provider proudly exclaimed that he coated it twice (at no extra charge)!

Unfortunately he was not familiar with the rifle, the bolt carrier, the raceways, the threads on the gas system....you get the picture. It took about 5 days of work with jeweler's files to get it working and reassembled. I do my own coating now.

When i had my glock done in my cool guy colors I put extra screws in the RMR holes to keep them clean. The guy who did it has quit doing it now but was telling me all about how where and how to spray and the general problems that people have if done wrong. Seemed to be very knowledgeable. As to how its holding up I'm not sure it was done in kind of a battle worn finish and its a safe queen. But it operates fine.

Back
Top Bottom