• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cerakote Horror stories

Doesn't mean they are good at it.

Exactly, there are a lot of Businesses that are supposed to specialize in Cerakote but that doesn't meant they are good or certified by Cerakote. I look at a lot of other Companies work and say Holy Crap somebody actually paid for that.

yeah, yeah I know the certification thing is a joke especially since it certifies the company and not the individual but it does lead to some credibility.

Exactly, there are a lot of Businesses that are supposed to specialize in Cerakote but that doesn't meant they are good or certified by Cerakote. I look at a lot of other Companies work and say Holy Crap somebody actually paid for that.

yeah, yeah I know the certification thing is a joke especially since it certifies the company and not the individual but it does lead to some credibility.

Most of the certificate is probably pay based not quality based

Cerakote is fantastic if applied properly. But it is still a coating, so can't expect a diamond finish. If globbed on, flaking off, rubbing off with a few mags, it's the applicator. Success is in the details. Many folks don't realize how important prep is. Gotta take your time and make sure all oil is off and then blast it, then strip it again. People try to cut corners here and it shows.

It is also a very thin coating and dries very fast to the touch. You have to have the right amount of air coming through the gun and mixing with the right amount of paint. It's a very small window. Can easily glob paint on or simply be spitting flash dried paint onto the surface. Neither are.

I am by no means an expert at cerakoting, but I have done a fair amount and have had a fair amount done for me. I also had to redo a gun or two of mine because the finish was not right.

So this is my G42 finished in patriot brown locally and professionally. Carried for a month daily thus far, soft tuck in a sticky holster appendix. Has been fired around 500ish rounds from the iwb draw, re holster, draw etc. Zero malfunctions. It's slick like glass, zero binding parts. Zero external chipping, scratching, blemishes, etc. SO this experience so far is excellent. This gun will be hitting kydex in a month or so being shot at the same round count if not more monthly and I'll report back on degradation!
IMG_6500.JPG
IMG_6501.JPG
IMG_6502.JPG
IMG_6504.JPG
IMG_6505.JPG
IMG_6506.JPG

You could say I like Cerakote. I was skeptical at first and concerned about durability.
I've shot thousands of rounds and the only wear I can see is the charging handle and the area it slides into show wear. Not a lot.
I thought I would see nicks and dings on the deflection area of the ejection port but nothing yet. I have
a government model 1911 fully coated and again the only wear is the slide area which is unseen.
I agree the applicator has to be experienced, the firearms needs to be impeccably clean, and I only go
with baked on finish.

i57.tinypic.com_akfll0.jpg
i61.tinypic.com_1e1hlv.jpg
i61.tinypic.com_2jeaeso.jpg
i62.tinypic.com_6rro0h.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_69c.jpg

So the problem ultimately is how its done. So unless you're certain its done by a trusted person most stuff listed for sale thats been coated should be passed over.

Not passed over but I wouldn't add any value to it. If I get something that's been previously Cerakoted I redo it immediately

You could say I like Cerakote. I was skeptical at first and concerned about durability.
I've shot thousands of rounds and the only wear I can see is the charging handle and the area it slides into show wear. Not a lot.
I thought I would see nicks and dings on the deflection area of the ejection port but nothing yet. I have
a government model 1911 fully coated and again the only wear is the slide area which is unseen.
I agree the applicator has to be experienced, the firearms needs to be impeccably clean, and I only go
with baked on finish.

View attachment 1300738 View attachment 1300739 View attachment 1300740 View attachment 1300741
View attachment 1300745

+1 on only using bake on

Back
Top Bottom