• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ceramic Coating for Cars - good/bad??

kbkatl

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   0
Reaction score
anyone have experience with getting the ceramic coating on a car? My car is a week old and I thought if I am going to get it done, it would be better to do early while the factory paint is still pretty pristine.

if your looking to protect your paint just get a decent wrap job from someone reputable. will most likely be the most cost effective option

anyone have experience with getting the ceramic coating on a car? My car is a week old and I thought if I am going to get it done, it would be better to do early while the factory paint is still pretty pristine.

What matters more is that it's free of swirls and scratches before putting on a coating. If the dealer "detailed" it for you, I guarantee you it's full of swirls. Granted, it will be much easier to polish since removing swirls and light scratches is much simpler than removing years of grime and contamination. Anyhow, it'll need to be polished before applying a coating either way. Not sure if you've gotten quotes, but it's not cheap ($2k+ for the ones that last years). Unless you're trying to protect a classic show car or maybe an exotic, I just don't see the point. It essentially protects your clear coat, which is already protecting your paint. Then what will protect the ceramic coating ?:wacko:

Anyhow, if you polish the paint once per year, keep a high quality wax on it 3-4 times per year, and make sure it's not washed by a machine or monkeys at a car wash, it will stay looking new.

Decided to go with it. I"m pretty happy with the result, at least initially. Time will tell how it stands up in 5 years, but the increase in "shine" is noticeable.
merc1.jpeg
merc 2.jpeg
merc 3.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom