• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CFE pistol powder

Sport pistol is already on the radar after speaking with some of the fellows i shoot with.

But wanted to get a 1lb'er locally to screw around in the short term before ordering an 8lb Sport pistol.

In your ealier post about the SDB, you indicated that you were loading for light recoil impulses, and for a cost savings.

In general: lower recoil is achieved by using a lower weight of measured powder in the charge-regardless of the type of powder.

Found this article:
https://www.outdoorlife.com/articles/guns/rifles/2007/09/calculate-recoil-energy

In most competitive pistol shooting circles, it is generally believed that if you want less felt recoil with a standard unported or uncompensated barrel, go with the fastest powder that will give you the desired velocity.

With a compensater involved, the slowest powder that will fit in the case will yeild the lowest FELT recoil by producing more gas, thus working with the comp to reduce muzzle flip.

If you want to load for maximum power, go with the slower powders.

Also, generally, pressure is your friend if you want an accurate load that burns clean, and lead bullets are always dirty bullets when compared to jacketed bullets.

Powder company marketing departments will say a lot of things to sell new powders.

I really like the CFE. I believe for the 124 grain bullets I got really good results using 5grains of power. If interested let me know and I'll double check my load book. Going off memory is not a good idea for reloading. It burns clean and throws well. Much better than titewad and universal clays.

I really like the CFE. I believe for the 124 grain bullets I got really good results using 5grains of power. If interested let me know and I'll double check my load book. Going off memory is not a good idea for reloading. It burns clean and throws well. Much better than titewad and universal clays.
I've got plenty of load data now on CFE.

I find it to not be super clean burning on the lower end, but gets better the hotter you go.

4.5gr gave me around 1050fps with a plated 124

4.3gr gave about the same on the coated leads bullets.

That's about where I want to be for USPSA, so I don't think CFE is tops of my list. It does meter super accurately in my Dillon. 10 throws stayed within 0.1grains.

I've got plenty of load data now on CFE.

I find it to not be super clean burning on the lower end, but gets better the hotter you go.

4.5gr gave me around 1050fps with a plated 124

4.3gr gave about the same on the coated leads bullets.

That's about where I want to be for USPSA, so I don't think CFE is tops of my list. It does meter super accurately in my Dillon. 10 throws stayed within 0.1grains.

Yea I like the higher end 9mm loads. You won't get maximum velocity, but it's good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom