• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

CGA Long Gun Series

Just got back from the match. Holy crap was it hard and an absolute blast.

I've never shot an improvised position match before and didn't realize I was diving into the deep end of the pool. The course of fire at Creekside is intentionally made considerably more difficult than what is typically found at a PRS match.

I thought I would just take my M1a and a couple of bags and have fun plinking steel. Oops! That mistake won't happen again. Next time I'm bring several sizes of good bags plus a full size backpack and my 6.5 Creedmoor with a 25x scope. Several of the high point targets were so small they were obscured even with the fine crosshair on the 10x Nightforce I have on the M1a.

I was sure I came in dead last and was surprised to find out I came in 21st out of 26 shooters. And yes, I'm proud of that!

Just to give you and idea, here is one of the stages.
View attachment 2086111
Eight rounds from inside and eight rounds from on top. Four minute time limit. Seems pretty straight forward, right? But wait, there's more!
The tube is not secured from rolling side to side and there is almost no traction inside the tube. The moment you go prone, you start sliding back down it. People were trying all kinds of ways to get stable and there was cussing involved. The only way I could do it was to twist at the waist so I could jam my right knee into the side and press the back if my hips into the other side. I ended up shooting with the butt of the rifle just slightly right of the center of my chest and at a very odd angle. The target is at 521 yards.

BTW, the reason the RO is standing so close to the shooter is so he can catch the rifle if the shooter falls off, which did happen.

Tough match, but great people shooting it and running it. I'll definitely be a regular. Ya'll should come out and try this. It really is a lot of fun.
HOLY SHEET. This is what is needed in the world. I would love to shoot my .308 Garand on that and kick some a$$.

Back
Top Bottom