• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Charging handle question

OK

<---- Not an operator by any means

But why do you need to charge it more than once? After the first mag the bolt locks open? Slap in another mag, release the bolt, and you're back in action.

Like I said, not an operator but having a hard time understanding the whole charging handle thing.
<---- Not an operator here either.
Not sure I understand your question about charging it more than once either though? My thinking behind the larger latch on the CH is that it would give more surface to grab for the initial charging therefore making it a little easier/faster? Maybe helps with clearing a malfunction as well. I think it would also make it easier to charge if I should decide to mount a scope to my rifle rather than the red dot I currently have and am unsure of whether I like or not yet.

If I'm way off in thinking this way, please explain. I'm open to any helpful info.

I was leaning toward the BCM. Looks like that's the direction I'll be going. I've heard that if you get the large latch, it will tend to dig into you with the rifle slung in front. Thanks for all the info.
Let me know where you end up getting a good price, I need one too now. (After reading this thread)

OK

<---- Not an operator by any means

But why do you need to charge it more than once? After the first mag the bolt locks open? Slap in another mag, release the bolt, and you're back in action.

Like I said, not an operator but having a hard time understanding the whole charging handle thing.

I thought the exact same way until feeling a BCM charging handle. It is much sturdier and easier to grab onto, especially w/ a scope mounted. I was having trouble w/ a 7,62 x 39 AR build and was manually charging, over and over and over again. I swore my fingers were going to bleed from the small factory charging handle.

I have BCM med, Raptor, Anderson with the large latch, a unknown with unknown large latch, a mil-spec with a yankee hill machine charging handle latch, and regular mil-spec.

The raptor is my favorite but too expensive to put on every AR but I did a build with everything being ambidextrous so I went with this and it is smooth and easy to operate from either side with one hand. My next favorite would be the BCM again little pricy and the Anderson isn't much cheaper the Yankee hill latch works well and is an inexpensive upgrade to a mil-spec charging handle. For me the latch is just easier with a scope on the upper

upload_2017-1-6_16-12-2.png
I have this one from Strike Industries. Excellent.

I've never had a scope on any of my AR's so I can't speak as far as having a clearance issue. All of them feel better than a standard mil-spec IMO. I have had BCM, Raptor, and Fortis. The Raptor is pricey...the Fortis is great but the color won't match if that matters to you. So I'd say the BCM by default...just pick which size latch you think would work best for you! :)

Back
Top Bottom