• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chattahoochee WMA

Remmy

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
20   0
Reaction score
I've been going up there the past couple years to harvest a bear. I haven't been successful though.
I'm really posting this for anybody going up there this weekend for the hunt.
For the first time they had a bear dog hunt and they killed 51 bear off the WMA. I personally didn't see a bear population up there that needed a slaughter hunt. I talked to game management up there and they said that the bear are killing the deer population so it's seems like they want to wipe the bear out and try to make it something that it won't never be. Considering I have a friend that live's next to it and he has killed 80 coyote's this year alone. If they wanted to thin the bear population down,they should have opened it up for the season for bear only instead of just a couple week's a season. There never has been a huge deer population up in that area that I know of. How do you expect to control any kind of game population on 25.000 acres by only allowing hunting for a couple weeks out of the year. They also said the majority of those bear killed were sows which will hurt the years to come. I also asked them how many of those sows that got killed had cubs. They didn't respond.
Needless to say I will be looking for a new place to bear hunt.
I hate to see them do a slaughter hunt like this. JMO

there’s is so much to discuss here. I truly don’t know where to begin.
First off it’s public land and the terms of public land usually don’t go the way most of us want.
Secondly, if you are seriously interested in harvesting a bear. You might consider finding one of those hound packs that “slaughtered “ the bears in that area. I’m not trying to taught here, but hunting bear behind good dogs has to be both a treat and productive! You might want to look into that if bear is your desired target.
Lastly I doubt they obliterated the bear population. Predators are notoriously unmanageable.

We still have plenty of bear up here. The wild hogs seem to be the worst population we have to control up here followed closely by the coyote. They are decimating the turkey and grouse habitat and the coyote is a huge predator of the deer population.

Let me add some more to it.This was a quota hunt in which 6 people were drawn, but each one of those 6 people that were drawn for the hunt could invite 9 additional persons to hunt with them. So that made a total of 60 people and each person could kill there quota of 2 bear per person.Have you ever heard of a QUOTA hunt like that? Most of these dog hunters came from NC and TENN. Now does it sound like a slaughter hunt to you?

Back
Top Bottom