• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

cheap .50 BMG ?

It did not take 2000 fps, Off of Doster Road, in Walton Cty. he just kept getting closer, closer, closer, and closer with a 22, and 3# of tannerite in an aluminum lawn mower motor, and took his leg off around the knee.

Just someone daring the odds of injury, tough lesson to learn with long lasting effects...

A .50BMG with a LER scope? Not seeing the usefulness of this.

Well, if you read the original post it tells you.

The usefulness of this is to have a big effing gun that blows stuff up powerfully (5 gallon buckets of creek water, reactive targets, old appliances, etc),

Neither the gun nor the scope have to be MOA accurate, and I would say the gun could be limited to an effective range of 500 yards for accuracy purposes. The goal would be to be "king of the hill" within 500 yards, not for the ability to put a slug with pinpoint precision On a target a mile away.

The 50 BMG round is just badass .
That's the reason for owning a rifle in this caliber.
And if a .50 rifle were available for a reasonable price, not more than twice the price of an ordinary hunting rifle in a popular caliber like 300 WinMag, I think that would be great.

PS. I'm sure some people would buy it just to hunt deer.
These are the people that think you need to have 3000 foot pounds of kinetic energy to cleanly and humanely kill a Whitetail buck. So if they can have 10,000 foot pounds that should make them even happier !

IMG_4789.PNG
Hesse (or volcum arms?) were making 'budget' .50 cal rifles, but there was a defect that would send the bolt through the shooter's shoulder..

Budget + .50bmg is something I wouldn't combine.

Thanks for posting this. I just looked up YouTube and liveleak videos and I saw the short video of the shooter having his Vulcan 50 caliber tactical rifle blow up on him.
Well according to his buddy who was at the range with him and posted about it on other blogs later, the problem was the bolt sheared off of the locking lugs in the bolt came straight back into his shoulder.

I'm no engineer, but that Vulcan .50 action looks like a freaking retarded design from the word "go."

If no conventional single shot rifle action would work, how about a traditional bolt action design using maybe a three shot internal magazine? I'm thinking more traditional bolt action rifle designs-- something based on the 1898 Mauser, the 1903 Springfield, the Winchester model 70, or the Remington 700 action. After all, the 50 BMG round was developed by super sizing the 30-06, but keeping all of its proportions.

Well, if you read the original post it tells you.

The usefulness of this is to have a big effing gun that blows stuff up powerfully (5 gallon buckets of creek water, reactive targets, old appliances, etc),

Neither the gun nor the scope have to be MOA accurate, and I would say the gun could be limited to an effective range of 500 yards for accuracy purposes. The goal would be to be "king of the hill" within 500 yards, not for the ability to put a slug with pinpoint precision On a target a mile away.

The 50 BMG round is just badass .
That's the reason for owning a rifle in this caliber.
And if a .50 rifle were available for a reasonable price, not more than twice the price of an ordinary hunting rifle in a popular caliber like 300 WinMag, I think that would be great.

PS. I'm sure some people would buy it just to hunt deer.
These are the people that think you need to have 3000 foot pounds of kinetic energy to cleanly and humanely kill a Whitetail buck. So if they can have 10,000 foot pounds that should make them even happier !

Yes, I read the post. All of it. That's where I got the part about the LER scope from. From the post. That I read.

What's wrong with a L.E.R. (Handgun / scout ) scope?
They come in variable power zoom models.
Here's a review of one 3X - 12X Burris pistol scope on a Ruger Charger.
The gun shot sub- M.O.A. groups with it.
http://gunsumerreports.com/review_burris_3-12x32_handgun_scope.php

The eye relief was at least ten inches, even at the maximum magnification.

I'm sure if someone builds it someone will buy it...a fool and his money...
Personally, I don't see the point.
You post a lot of these 'why doesn't someone build this thing no one needs'...you ever consider starting your own company?
The name 'Shawshank Tactical' is still available.

Back
Top Bottom