• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

cheap .50 BMG ?

What's wrong with a L.E.R. (Handgun / scout ) scope?
They come in variable power zoom models.
Here's a review of one 3X - 12X Burris pistol scope on a Ruger Charger.
The gun shot sub- M.O.A. groups with it.
http://gunsumerreports.com/review_burris_3-12x32_handgun_scope.php

The eye relief was at least ten inches, even at the maximum magnification.

I've used plenty of LER scopes, mostly on handguns (including rifle caliber handguns), but also on a lever action. For those applications, I liked it.

For a rifle in a more capable caliber, I've got issues with an LER scope that would keep ME from using it for me PERSONALLY. If it works for you, press on.
1. Very small FOV
2. Poor light transmission, resulting in a dark sight picture. Not good for early in the morning/late at night.
3. Overall poor quality picture when compared to a comparably priced/powered "standard" riflescope.

I'm not advising folks not to do it, it's just something I would not do. From a marketing standpoint, a .50BMG that you could only use a LER scope on would be a marketing disaster. Too many folks wanna shoot too far with a .50 to be saddled with a LER scope.

Why won't somebody make a cheap ($400-$600) single-shot break-open rifle chambered for the .50 BMG round?

Something that people can buy and mess around with, for the novelty of having such a powerful round, and for casual target shooting at long ranges (not trying to win any matches though. Not for actual use for sniping in combat).

The H&R / N.E.F. break-open handi-rifles are what I'm thinking of. Same basic design as a single-shot shotgun. Simple to build. No frills. Cheap. You can buy them all day long for $200 or $300.

Imagine one of those chambered for the .50 BMG round?
Sure, the barrel would be extra thick, and heavy. It would have to be a heavier rifle, to not kick you to death with the recoil. The stock would need a wider and softer butt-pad, too.
Maybe the action would have to be modified a bit-- the factory could add a flip-up and flip-down locking bar so that the top side of the chamber is locked mechanically to the receiver, not just the bottom side.

The rifle should have a very securely-attached scope base forward of the action for a Long Eye Relief scope-- a pistol scope. Like a scout rifle uses.

This l.e.r. scope system would avoid the danger of getting a serious cut to your face from the recoil. I don't want to touch off a .50 BMG round in a fairly light rifle (15 lb?) if the scope is only 3" from my eyeball.

The barrel should be threaded at the muzzle for accessories, and one accessory that would come with it (I think every rifle should be shipped this way, for liability reasons) would be a muzzle brake.

What do y'all think?
because people are willing to pay more than that to get one

http://www.gunslot.com/pictures/anzio-single-shot-50-bmg-2-100-00

Well, the LER scope would probably be be necessary for a break-open action that has a second locking lever or arm on the top, to share the pressure load with the hinge pin on the bottom.

If the rifle were, instead, just a supersized conventional bolt action of the '98 Mauser design or similar, then the scope could be mounted in the conventional location.

When it comes to Long Eye Relief or scopes, they have had a great measure of success when used on the so-called scout rifles championed by Colonel Jeff Cooper.
There are versatile and capable of giving you accuracy out to a few hundred yards .
I would say several hundred yards, with a 50 BMG round.

I don't think the only people who would be interested in the 50 Browning round are long range sniper tactical types who want to be able to get the best possible accuracy at 1000, 1500, or 2000 yards.

If the price were reasonable and the weight of the gun not ridiculously heavy, I think a lot of shooters would like to pick one up just to play with it. Experiment with it. Plink with it. Out to a few hundred yards most of the time. Occasionally longer if they have the range and a safe backstop that far out.

yeah, and it was not user-friendly. You not only had to break the action open and pivot it upward, but you also had to UNSCREW the breech plug and knock out the empty shell and reload it.
Slow, and awkward. Kind of like a muzzle-loading black powder rifle.

http://www.serbu.com/rn-50-break-action-50-bmg.html

What I'm thinking of would be easy to operate. Not "tactical" fast, but quick enough to be satisfying to shoot at the range, as much as any single-shot weapon can be.
The serbu was designed to be the cheapest 50 bmg that can be produced. What you are asking for sounds like it would be much more expensive to make. Especially considering how small the market is and how much risk is involved with those kind of pressures. If it was something they thought they could sell millions of the price could come down considerably but the market for something like that is understandably tiny.

Because it would beat you to death.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Yes! A lightweight .50BMG would beat the heck out of you. I've shot almost every type of .50BMG I can think of, from the M2 to every Barrett offering, Steyr, Anzio, Armalite, etc. In addition to an effective muzzle brake, every one of them is heavy. The Anzio is the lightest I can think of, it's over 18lbs, and it has noticeably more recoil than say the heavier Armalite AR50 (34lbs), Steyr HS50 (28.5lbs), or Barrett 99 (25lbs). Those are all single shot bolt actions.

I've shot plenty of Scout Rifles with LER scopes on them. They have the limitations I have previously described. The Scout Rifle and LER scope concepts are not popular ones. That's why there aren't a lot of either being offered. I respect Col Cooper in a lot of things, but he also had several concepts and ideas that I think aren't worth a damn. I'm not going to blindly pray at his altar because he was a Marine Colonel and one of the fathers of modern pistol fighting.

One of the big pluses to the Scout Rifle/LER scope concept is that it's fast and light from the shoulder and in field expedient shooting positions. One of Cooper's criteria was an equipped weight of 6.6lbs. Not exactly something that can be ascribed to an 18+ pound .50BMG.

Maddi/Griffin had a 80% bmg 50 kit that had an IMI barrel that was surplus parts from israeli fighter jets , a company out of fridley Minnesota sold the kits in the late 80s early 90s.

Back
Top Bottom