• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheap AR uppers

acmech

Default rank <500 posts
Survivalist
0   0
Reaction score
Just a word of caution for you guys. Part of this post is a reply to a thread Gun Runner started, but there were so many issues with this upper I wanted to make a separate post. A buddy came over yesterday with his new AR 5.56 pistol build that he was having problems with. He bought the upper from 22mods4all for $209, a very cheap upper. The BCG was a fail zero bcg that was on sale for $100 a couple weeks ago. The problem he had was sometimes when the bcg did close all the way it was really hard to get it to return back with charging handle (when closed by hand) and when shooting, it sometimes didn't chamber a round, it failed to go fully fwd. We stripped it down to remove the gas tube. The gas tube mushroom end mic'd at .080 or so and had a burr on it. It also would bind when going into the gas key on the bcg, we tried 2 bcg's as well, both were the same. Turning it by hand in 220 grit sandpaper cleaned it up and it now reads .0785. It then moved freely in and out of the gas key, when reassembled the bcg moved slick as snot with no binding.
The setscrews in his low profile gas block were also metric which was a surprise. Glad I have a full set of metric allen wrenches. The barrel wasn't dimpled for the set screws either, so we dimpled the barrel so the setscrews could get more bite on the barrel. Eventually they would have come loose and the gas block would have shifted, you can be sure of that.
The screws attaching the forward rail to the barrel nut were rather odd. They were 10-32 pitch, but neither a metric or standard allen wrench would fit in the screw head properly. While we got them out I was concerned about putting them back in so I gave him replacement screws what were made to a much higher standard.
Anyhow, the moral of the story is, if you buy a cheap upper, expect to have problems, consider it as buying a kit you are going to have to fine tune.

I forgot to mention, the low profile gas block and gas tube had the wrong size roll pin installed. It was tight to the tube, but loose in the block. Luckily I had some spare pins on hand.

I bought at Christmas a CBC industries upper kit. It came in pieces that I had to assemble. No issues with it and paid like $239. Bought an NP3 bolt carrier group from Aim surplus for $99. Now have a very cool key mod 300 blackout. Cheap is ok as long as you verify quality. I went with CBC because two different shops in Newnan have been using their uppers without any issues. I got to look and hold the guns and work the bolt carriers to verify the things "feel right". I even went so far as to have the barrel cut down to where the suppressor mount makes it exactly 16 inches. This means the suppressor mounts right in front of the hand guard with just enough clearance to attach detach.
Well pleased so far, accuracy is roughly minute of angle at 100 yards with hand loads. slightly over MOA with cheap store bought stuff and cycles subsonic with or without suppressor (pistol gas system)

I like CBC stuff, I bought one of their low profile pistol length gas block setups and am going to order another. Standard screws on it indicates to me it US made or at least made to higher standards.

22mods4all... very cheap...
I've always been leery of buying from these guys. There's a big difference between inexpensive budget parts and cheap budget parts, but nothing has ever convinced me that they weren't cheap. I'll take inexpensive over cheap any day of the week. Thanks for posting this. It just solidified my stance on the company.

have one of the 22mods uppers. 1500 or so thru it, no problems. seems good and solid.

Glad yours has been good for ya. My buds was certainly a dud. If anyone else has one of their uppers I'd be interested to hear if they had any problems or not. He bought his upper right after black friday. I wonder if they were rushing builds to get them out the door. They certainly overlooked a few things, and the fact that they used the cheapest hardware including a chinese gasblock leaves a lot to be desired.

black Friday this year? they may have done what a lot of builders did. plan for a massive Hillary run on them and just bought any and every part they could. still no excuse for low quality, but i have had mine for about 3 years or so...

black Friday this year? they may have done what a lot of builders did. plan for a massive Hillary run on them and just bought any and every part they could. still no excuse for low quality, but i have had mine for about 3 years or so...

Yea, it was this year. A lot can happen to quality in just 3 years, new managers and workers. Sounds like you got a good one.

Back
Top Bottom