• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheap car?

Friend of mine just sold his pathfinder for $1000
4wd. Ran great AC worked

91-96 thunderbirds and cougars are good cars
Can usually find good ones with less than 120k for less than $1500

In fact there's one for sale on this site that looks like a lot of car for the money

They usually need front ball joints and a radatior and new fan
Otherwise they are the same as a Mustang underneath
So they are easy to work on and parts are reasonable priced

Used buicks have no resale value Because only old people want to drive them and old people almost always buy a brand new car
So deals can be had

With any car
Run the carfax
Ask the seller On the initial phone call
1: how long have you owned it ?
2: why are you selling it.?
3 what problems have you had wih it ?
4 do you have a clear title in YOUR name, in your possession ? ( IE not at the title pawn or bank)
5 when I run a carfax , what is it going to show?
6 do you have any Maint records or receipts ?

If they haven't owned the car for at least two years , that's a red flag ,

If they dont have a legit sounding reason for selling it , that's a red flag

A lot. And I mean a lot , of sellers are flippers acting like it's their personal daily driver ,And skip the title so they don't have to pay the sales tax , so it's still in he name of the person they bought it from , walk away from that .

Everyone will CLAIM they changed the oil etc
But when you ask em for receipts they don't have any
If they claim a major repair like new engine or trans and don't have a receipt , they are lying , you don't spend $2K on a new trans and toss the receipt (and warranty) in the trash

Last edited:
Any Japanese car pretty much fits the bill. I would recommend going with something that has a timing chain vs a belt. Nissan rarely used belts, most Hyundai (although korean) are also on a chain. The only thing that kept me from getting an older Honda or Toyota was that a lot of them used a belt.

Of course, my budget was $2000, so you should be able to get some cars that are in the low 2000 years. An older Honda CRV, or any Sentra would be in my list.

There are plenty of cars in your price range. Just plz stay away from Craigslist. Too many fools on that site that is waiting for a bullet. Try a few dealerships and check out their trade ins.

I have a 2005 toyota Prius I drive and commute nearly 60 miles a day in. I looked and looked for one until the right deal came along. The prius is by far one of the most dependable and fuel efficient car I've driven. I can get 310 miles on 8.50 cents. With gas prices dropping I would take a good long look at one for her. They are well worth the money you can pay for them.

good luck!
Neil

Like everyone else said go with a Camry. Should be able to get a 05-08 with 125-150k miles. Anything not union made in a car is going to last. If at all possible buy something made in Japan. I worked for Toyota for years and there’s a difference between the camrys that came off the ship in Jacksonville and the ones built here. Btw a 4Runner for 4K is possible

Back
Top Bottom