• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheap Case expander and 375 Wichester brass

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
46   0
Reaction score
I usually do not come on here just to spout off about my attempts at saveing money. But, I just bought a scope frome someone on the forum and he will benifit from this.

Problem: finding brass for a 375Winchester, or a 38-55 ( almost the same )

Solution: get a Lee Universal Decapping Die or a Lee 38-55/375win decapping die and order the Lee 375 H&H dicapping rod/pin replacement part from Lee.

Install the 375H&H rod/pin into your die. This will work to convert 30-30 into 375/38-55 brass. Use alot of lube. You may have to anneal the case neck and shoulder before hand. I suppose you could step size the brass by using a 8mm decapping rod first.

I am currently using the die with the 375 rod as a case mouth expander for my 223 reloading. I just set the die high enough to allow the expander to barely touch the 223 brass--makes it easy to insert the bullet without shaving brass. I finish the loading process with the Lee Factory Crimp Die setup to flatten the case mouth back against the bullet.

The Lee bottle neck catridge decapping rods have a very gradual neck expander.

I am sure others have their ways of doing this ...I am just using tools I already had.

I do something similar for expanding. For each rifle caliber where I need to bell the mouth, I grab the next size up resizing die and adjust so to bell the mouth as needed. I.E. for .223, I use the .243 die, for 7mm, I use the .308 die etc. So far has worked great on lead boolits and on flat base jacketed bullets.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom