• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheap home defense shotgun

smokey30725

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
Reaction score
The car break-ins have started up again in my area and I am in need of a dirt cheap home defense shotgun. Don't care what it looks like or what gauge as long as it functions. Would also take a normal size gun and have my gunsmith cut it down to the legal length and reinstall the bead. Only shotguns I have are my bird and skeet gun and my kid's single shots. Just need something cheap to repel anyone with ill intent towards me or my family. I'm in far NW Georgia up near Chattanooga but can drive a little depending on my work schedule. Thanks.

Last fall I bought a Wal-Mart "Stevens" (Made in China) pump shotgun for $149.
It's a copy of the famous Winchester 1200, whose patent has long since expired.
Worked great.
I got the youth model-- the barrel's shorter and it's got a shorter stock that's easier to throw up to your shoulder in a hurry.
If you want really short and handy for home defense, cut the barrel down to 18.1" and attach a set of hi-viz sights made for turkey hunting. At least the front sight, anyway.
images

You'll lose the ability to use screw-in choke tubes (Winchester / Mossberg thread pattern), but who cares for a cheap H.D. shotty?

Academy had the 5 shot maverick for 189 the last trip though a couple weeks ago. Pretty hard to beat.

The car break-ins have started up again in my area and I am in need of a dirt cheap home defense shotgun. Don't care what it looks like or what gauge as long as it functions. Would also take a normal size gun and have my gunsmith cut it down to the legal length and reinstall the bead. Only shotguns I have are my bird and skeet gun and my kid's single shots. Just need something cheap to repel anyone with ill intent towards me or my family. I'm in far NW Georgia up near Chattanooga but can drive a little depending on my work schedule. Thanks.
Would just buying a barrel for one you already have work? Going hunting? Swap back out. Less than one minute.
Been there (am there).

Last fall I bought a Wal-Mart "Stevens" (Made in China) pump shotgun for $149.
It's a copy of the famous Winchester 1200, whose patent has long since expired.
Worked great.
I got the youth model-- the barrel's shorter and it's got a shorter stock that's easier to throw up to your shoulder in a hurry.
If you want really short and handy for home defense, cut the barrel down to 18.1" and attach a set of hi-viz sights made for turkey hunting. At least the front sight, anyway.
images

You'll lose the ability to use screw-in choke tubes (Winchester / Mossberg thread pattern), but who cares for a cheap H.D. shotty?

Can you post a picture of the shotgun you bought. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom