• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest .38 reloading

GAgunLAWbooklet

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
63   0
Reaction score
So this young man I know just got interested in shooting, handguns in particular.
His grandmother has taken him shooting with a .38 revolver, 4" barrel.
That's the handgun he wants to shoot more often, and his mom and grandma are OK with that, but they're not going to keep buying the ammo at $27 for 50 rounds of cheap range ammo.

This family has shot up $100 worth of factory / re manufactured .38 ammo in the last 2 months.

So... What do y'all think about the 18 year old reloading, with a single caliber reloading kit, making one round at a time?

Cost of Lee loading kit: $40,
Cost of 1lb powder (enough for 2500 rounds, at under 3gr. per charge), $20,
Cost of 500 cast lead bullets -- $40 (8 cents each)
Cost of 500 small pistol primers-- $20.

I can give the kid a bunch of fired cases to get started.
I figure the kid can build ammo for about 13 cents a shot, plus shipping, and amortization on the loading kit (figure he'll use it for 2000 rounds, or 2 cents per shot).

Is this a viable plan to get a young man shooting a .38 for not much cost?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 33
Like bill said that's a really slow process, buy him a cheap single stage press , he will load 10x the ammo for just a few bucks more

What does such a press cost?
I used to use a Rock Chucker press, and it wasn't cheap.
The dies and shell holders cost more than this Lee single-caliber kit.

Like bill said that's a really slow process, buy him a cheap single stage press , he will load 10x the ammo for just a few bucks more

See the thing is if you get a single stage press, then you need a set of dies, then you need some lock rings for those dies, then you need a place to stand those unfinished rounds and you're probably going to go from the scoop to a powder measure...

And well what the hell am I saying! You know how it is. We've all been down that path.

I think I would change the powder, maybe something like unique or a heavier powder (more charge per load, filling the case) just to keep him from double charging a round. Just my 2 cents.

Man it's hard to fill a .38 case! I can't think of a powder that will do it.
Certainly not Red Dot or Unique.....

See the thing is if you get a single stage press, then you need a set of dies, then you need some lock rings for those dies, then you need a place to stand those unfinished rounds and you're probably going to go from the scoop to a powder measure...

And well what the hell am I saying! You know how it is. We've all been down that path.
ok buy him the lee loader , even a cheap lyman press and dies will cost a 100 bucks at least.

Back
Top Bottom