• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest .38 reloading

What does such a press cost?
I used to use a Rock Chucker press, and it wasn't cheap.
The dies and shell holders cost more than this Lee single-caliber kit.

This is the kit I started with. Was $125 at Cabela's.. set of dies was another $35

edit: oops.. link helps

http://leeprecision.com/breech-lock-challenger-kit.html

Comes with the loader, powder scale, powder chucker, priming tool, basically everything you need to start but powder, primers, cases, lead, and the dies.

I'd say get him the kit, teach him how to use it and show mom and pop what to buy for powder, primers, projectiles, and dies and let them get him that for christmas and you can grab him the press for the same money you were going to spend on everything else and he's got something thats going to make him much better tighter grouping ammunition that will teach him much more about shooting than ammo thats going to go all over the place because the powder isn't measured properly and the ammo isn't matched to his firarm.. but thats just my half a nickles worth

So this young man I know just got interested in shooting, handguns in particular.
His grandmother has taken him shooting with a .38 revolver, 4" barrel.
That's the handgun he wants to shoot more often, and his mom and grandma are OK with that, but they're not going to keep buying the ammo at $27 for 50 rounds of cheap range ammo.

This family has shot up $100 worth of factory / re manufactured .38 ammo in the last 2 months.

So... What do y'all think about the 18 year old reloading, with a single caliber reloading kit, making one round at a time?

Cost of Lee loading kit: $40,
Cost of 1lb powder (enough for 2500 rounds, at under 3gr. per charge), $20,
Cost of 500 cast lead bullets -- $40 (8 cents each)
Cost of 500 small pistol primers-- $20.

I can give the kid a bunch of fired cases to get started.
I figure the kid can build ammo for about 13 cents a shot, plus shipping, and amortization on the loading kit (figure he'll use it for 2000 rounds, or 2 cents per shot).

Is this a viable plan to get a young man shooting a .38 for not much cost?
What powder are you looking at that has load data for under 3 grains per round?

The Lee Loading kits are a viable option if one has the hours it will take to load up fifty rounds. I bought one when I was in my early twenties for 9mm and decided I was better off buying range ammo to shoot once I factored in the time spent into the cost.

What powder are you looking at that has load data for under 3 grains per round?

The Lee Loading kits are a viable option if one has the hours it will take to load up fifty rounds. I bought one when I was in my early twenties for 9mm and decided I was better off buying range ammo to shoot once I factored in the time spent into the cost.

He's 18 and probably has more time than money.
It'll keep him busy, idle hands are the devils workshop....... especially at 18, lol.

Will you be helping out or over-seeing the process till he gets the hang of it? If so, i might have an offer you (he) would be interested in. I have extra everything but would feel uneasy giving it to someone completely green.

He's 18 and probably has more time than money.
It'll keep him busy, idle hands are the devils workshop....... especially at 18, lol.
Bullseye loads at less than 3 grains.
Surely someone has a used press they would sell for about the price of a new Lee Loader. I started with one of those 40 years ago and still remember how laborious a process it was. Good to see young people serious about shooting and loading.

Back
Top Bottom