• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Cheapest 45acp plinking load wanted

I have been shooting lead for years without problems. Maks, 9, 40, 45s. Both in glocks, beretta h&k, sigs, etc. rifle and poly barrels. Maybe it's just a matter of time before something happens? I do check my barrels and watch for leading, rifled ones normally check good. Poly barrels due require a little bit of scrubbing. Keep the fps down to under 1000 this helps.

For plinking, run a box of lead, run a box of jackets. For hot loads, jackets only.
Just my thoughts.

I should have specified that GLOCK recommends only shooting jacketed ammo in their guns. But, they also state 'no reloaded ammo'. Also, a ported barrel can cause leading issues.

I should have specified that GLOCK recommends only shooting jacketed ammo in their guns. But, they also state 'no reloaded ammo'.
I could see the ported barrel causing problems. There's a lot of info on the cast bullot site if interested. A lot of guys over there have been running lead for years.

Thanks everyone, you've been a huge help. Now my next problem I found; those Hazmat fees! Anyone got good places to buy powder and primers around Athens?

Sporting Arms in Winterville has the best selection of powder, prices are reasonable. Haven't done a point to point price comparison but Jerry usually makes sure he has the lowest price in the Athens market,

Athens Rifle Club and Elberton Gun Club make bulk purchases when they order targets, but you have to be a member, and you're talking about a 3 or 4 times a year event - on the scale you are talking about, it might not make much sense. It's a better deal if you want to order in bulk.

i make my own bullets and have never had a problem with leading except in a specialty barrel that's ported.

My personal opinion is that the issue of leading in pistol barrels is terribly overstated, Unless you are shooting Bulleye, where a 1/4 in. makes a difference, shooting lead is not a problem in the real world.

I have read that but no Glocks here. Also heard Marlin Microgroove barrels shouldn't have lead shot in them.
I shoot lead in a Marlin microgroove 30-30 without issue and there is no counting the number of 22 rounds fired in Marlins. I have only one pistol (Dan Wesson Valor) I get a little bit of buildup at the beginning of the rifling but it's no chore to clean. I probably have 8 -9,000 rounds of lead in it and the barrel looks new. You'd have a hard time doing that with jacketed bullets. You cannot wear out a barrel with lead bullets.

Back
Top Bottom