• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chevy Mechanic with C4 Corvette Experience.

Has original single row radiator. Better cooling with 2-row, according to my research. No coolant leaks as far as I know. And yes, I read you can jumper the A & B ports on diag. plug to see if fans come on, haven't done that. I've heard that low freon will prevent cooling fan switch from cycling. I don't have any A/C gauges, so I need it checked.

If ac isn’t coming on in theory could not cycle fan but you have a engine cooling fan that has nothing to do with A/C at all

jump it and see if that fan in fact works and drive it around and see what it does
Traffic is your issue so sounds to me not overheating while driving means you have a air flow issue

Hey Guys, thanks for the input. Has a new 160 degree t-stat, runs 165-175 at cruise, then jumps up to 190-200+ at stop lights, no cooling fans heard. Might be bad relay. I think first step is to jumper the A & B ports in the diagnostic plug and make sure both fan motors are working...

Hey Guys, thanks for the input. Has a new 160 degree t-stat, runs 165-175 at cruise, then jumps up to 190-200+ at stop lights, no cooling fans heard. Might be bad relay. I think first step is to jumper the A & B ports in the diagnostic plug and make sure both fan motors are working...

always make sure air is out of the system when you open up coolant hoses

remove radiator cap when cool only never when hot
And turn on heater wide open
Crank it up and let it burp million times until no air bubbles
Usually good 15-20 mins

I have a machine I use but this method works too

also after it all out I like to leave cap off when cool over night to let any other bubbles come out and top off next day
I am OCD like that

but In your case

anytime a vehicle only over heats at stop
If fans are not working or fan clutch faulty normal cause or bad water pump

your case fans not coming on is your number one problem to fix first !!!

best of luck PM if you need anything my friend

always make sure air is out of the system when you open up coolant hoses

remove radiator cap when cool only never when hot
And turn on heater wide open
Crank it up and let it burp million times until no air bubbles
Usually good 15-20 mins

I have a machine I use but this method works too

also after it all out I like to leave cap off when cool over night to let any other bubbles come out and top off next day
I am OCD like that

but In your case

anytime a vehicle only over heats at stop
If fans are not working or fan clutch faulty normal cause or bad water pump

your case fans not coming on is your number one problem to fix first !!!

best of luck PM if you need anything my friend

Thanks for your input, Lockout!

Will have to get serious about checking those cooling fans tomorrow...

Back
Top Bottom