• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chicom T53

BLIP

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
STOCKS REFINISHED
657   1
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to refinish one of these over past 2 months. And other than the wood I think these things are better than a regular Mosin. Do you have any thoughts or experiences with this military rifle?
20170923_102304.jpg
20170923_102538_HDR.jpg
20170923_102950.jpg

I own both the t53 and m44. Most of the t53 were used and abused. The t53 stock are made from cheap wood. Stock are normally pretty bet. All that being said, both shoot about the same.

Comparing the t53 to a m91/30. The t53 is much more useful.

It looks awfully naked without a layer of shellac. I had a couple of them and they looked pretty beat up, but a little bit of brass wool and something to thin out the shellac a little bit will brighten it up a lot. The shellac probably keeps the soft chu wood from getting even more beat up by sealing it.
I keep a T53 as a beater rifle and it's pretty handy, reasonably accurate, and the trigger is pretty decent. Even though the wood usually looks pretty ugly on T53s, the metal is nearly always in great shape. I will try to take some pics of mine if I get the chance later.

I own both the t53 and m44. Most of the t53 were used and abused. The t53 stock are made from cheap wood. Stock are normally pretty bet. All that being said, both shoot about the same.

Comparing the t53 to a m91/30. The t53 is much more useful.
I am not an expert on the shooting aspect but the T53 (at least this one) felt smoother than its counterpart.

It looks awfully naked without a layer of shellac. I had a couple of them and they looked pretty beat up, but a little bit of brass wool and something to thin out the shellac a little bit will brighten it up a lot. The shellac probably keeps the soft chu wood from getting even more beat up by sealing it.
I keep a T53 as a beater rifle and it's pretty handy, reasonably accurate, and the trigger is pretty decent. Even though the wood usually looks pretty ugly on T53s, the metal is nearly always in great shape. I will try to take some pics of mine if I get the chance later.
That is the way he wanted it. It probably has at least 1lb of boiled linseed oil and 3 coats of buffed bees wax!

I have a 91/30, M44, and T53.
The T53 has the best trigger, the slickest bolt, and I have the least $ than the others. That automatically makes it the favorite.

They all shoot with about the same accuracy, I'm just more confident with the T53 I guess just because of the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom