• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Choosing a turkey choke for today's new technology in turkey loads

stealhunt

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
17   0
Reaction score
I have been using a Colonial Arms choke on my 12ga. Rem. 870 for 20 plus years. In the early days, I had a box of turkey shot re-buffered and had great results. That just got to be too much hassle and I don't even know if that guy, Max was is name in Cleveland Ga., stills does this. But with today's technology, the turkey loads have advanced. The other day, a friend and I went to patteren our guns. We both used the exact same load, Winchester long beard. His choke measures .69 and mine measures .67. He held a much better patteren than did mine. I am wondering if the extra large wads that are inteneded to keep the shot tighter, longer, are compressing the shot and at the moment it leaves the muzzles, (from my tighter choke),relieves itself of the compression to such an extreme that it sends the momentum of the compression release in an outward pattern prematurely. There are a lot of chokes out there with prices ranging from $19.95 to $99.95. I can not afford to purchase one of each to determine the best for what I want to shoot.
Any constructive thoughts on the subject?:confused:

You didn't say which guns you were using. Bore diameter is a factor, etc. Anyhow, if you're going to take one swing at it and are concerned about the price get a TruGlo Strut Stopper Extreme. If the made in China bothers, you can go with a company that exchanges chokes. Trulock does. SumToy will. I think Pure Gold does, too.

Back
Top Bottom