• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chronograph

a very useful tool when reloading. I had the old Alpha Master unit but changed to a Caldwell setup recently. Has lights built in so no issues with cloud cover and lighting, and sends all data to my phone and stores it so I don't have to sit there with a pen and paper to record info.

magneto speed looks nice. I talked to the guys at SHOT last year and seems like they are picking up speed and market share. nice to have it attached to the rifle, especially if you are using it at a public or indoor range. friend just won one in a PRS match, can't wait to test it out.

A chronograph is safety tool also, it may catch an error you didn't realize you was making. I had a sudden increase in velocity in a 7mm-08 that was about 200 FPS too high. That through up a red flag and I started investigating and realized I had not seated the bullet deep enough. The bullet was being driven into the lands on chambering causing excessive pressure. I may have not caught it so soon without the chronograph.

Rosewood

A chronograph is safety tool also, it may catch an error you didn't realize you was making. I had a sudden increase in velocity in a 7mm-08 that was about 200 FPS too high. That through up a red flag and I started investigating and realized I had not seated the bullet deep enough. The bullet was being driven into the lands on chambering causing excessive pressure. I may have not caught it so soon without the chronograph.

Rosewood

I caught one of my pistol loads that was way faster than it should have been as per the manual. Backed that data down to get the published speed. No signs of pressure, would not have caught it without the chrono.

The only chronographs that I trust to be truly accurate are
number one Magneto speed.
number2 lab radar .
number 3 Ohler ( extreme PIA to set up)

What ever money you spend on a cheap chrono you might as well take it pile it up in the middle of your yard and burn it. The data those chronos produce is erratic and completely useless at best ,they are trash. I say this only to save you time and money. The bad data they produce will only lead you in the wrong direction and waste time which is probably the most expensive of all

I have had a CED for many years. It works great. In order to check its accuracy, I positioned it right in front of another chrono which had been to its manufacturer for calibration. Mine was only one FPS different than the other.

Although that method of checking leaves the possibility that both instruments are inaccurate, it is unlikely that both would have the same measurement, unless they were accurate.

The cheap junky ones may work okay one day but catch them without optimal light or bad light angle and all data is junk. time is money,to each his own. the chronos-1&2 will work every time,any lighting 100% accurate

I had the chance recently to try out a guys Lab radar at the range. Nice unit. Never even seen or heard of one but did some research and them seem to a good unit, pricey.

Lighting is important, the CED does work well if the light is right. I have an electric light kit for mine. It is a lot to carry, but once setup, it works great indoors.

The only chronographs that I trust to be truly accurate are
number one Magneto speed.
number2 lab radar .
number 3 Ohler ( extreme PIA to set up)

What ever money you spend on a cheap chrono you might as well take it pile it up in the middle of your yard and burn it. The data those chronos produce is erratic and completely useless at best ,they are trash. I say this only to save you time and money. The bad data they produce will only lead you in the wrong direction and waste time which is probably the most expensive of all

Sorry, but not in agreement. Checking speed with known ammo is part of using a chrono, just like you zero a scale every time you set it up.

Do you have your super accurate chrono certified by the manufacturer or an approved shop every 6 months? Didn't think so.

Sorry, but not in agreement. Checking speed with known ammo is part of using a chrono, just like you zero a scale every time you set it up.

Do you have your super accurate chrono certified by the manufacturer or an approved shop every 6 months? Didn't think so.
You think factory ammo of different lots is consitent?

Back
Top Bottom