• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Chronograph

Ammo and its performance is unique to each gun. We look for accuracy from a given load. Then, we chrono the load for peace of mind, velocity consistency, and (more importantly), for trajectory predictions to be used on the scope.

I do not think you can trust factory ammo to be the same from lot to lot, but some ammo is more consistent than others--you get what you pay for, most of the time.

Sorry, but not in agreement. Checking speed with known ammo is part of using a chrono, just like you zero a scale every time you set it up.

Do you have your super accurate chrono certified by the manufacturer or an approved shop every 6 months? Didn't think so.

What's your definition of known ammo? you can make some Low SD ammo today, and shoot it tomorrow and it could be faster/slower based on weather conditions so that argument is just false also factory listed velocities suck. I have had 3 lots of factory Hornady Match shoot over 100 fps difference between the 3 and it cost me a match.

I have used Beta's, CEDs, Magneto Speeds, and a Lab Radar while the Megneto Speed is the easiest to set up, the Lab Radar is the most accurate out of the group.

Sorry, but not in agreement. Checking speed with known ammo is part of using a chrono, just like you zero a scale every time you set it up.

Do you have your super accurate chrono certified by the manufacturer or an approved shop every 6 months? Didn't think so.
Actually i got one better ,certified by a bullet that travels to a far away kd target and does not lie. The chrono is just for workup which i can do at the same time i practice off barricades.

Known bc x (x speed) = drop recorded in mils. But what do i know

You think factory ammo of different lots is consitent?

For verification, it is SOP to use ammo from the same lot fired from the same gun, correcting results to "standard day" temp and pressure.

This ain't rocket surgery, and it has been done longer than anyone here has been alive. It was once done with pendulum weight, and accurate, repeatable results were achieved even then.

What's your definition of known ammo? you can make some Low SD ammo today, and shoot it tomorrow and it could be faster/slower based on weather conditions so that argument is just false also factory listed velocities suck. I have had 3 lots of factory Hornady Match shoot over 100 fps difference between the 3 and it cost me a match.

I have used Beta's, CEDs, Magneto Speeds, and a Lab Radar while the Megneto Speed is the easiest to set up, the Lab Radar is the most accurate out of the group.

You must never buy factory loaded ammo. It actually has a lot number printed on the box, and you can buy thousands of rounds of it that comes from the same lot.

Some manufacturers and test labs actually use an air rifle as their standard measure when setting up.

How do you know which, if any, of the equipment you are using is reading correctly ? What are you using to verify this?

just because it comes from the same lot doesn't mean it's the same. it's loaded to a tolerance. I don't buy factory ammo for that reason. it's hard to make it consistent, good enough to hunt with, yes. but good enough for the long distance shooting that I do, no way.

To see if my equipment is accurate, I verify my data at distance. I can almost guess the velocity of a rifle within 30 fps with confirmed data without the use of a chronograph. Chronographs just give you a starting point, they are not the end all be all.

just because it comes from the same lot doesn't mean it's the same. it's loaded to a tolerance.
Your own amo is loaded to a tolerance. Same lot doesn't mean the same but it increases your odds. In theory, same lot would be loaded on the same machine with the same powder and die settings. Same goes for loading at home. If u change to another caliber then back you will never have everything exactly the same from batch to batch. I would bet there has been many matches won with factory fodder.

Rosewood

yeah my tolerance is 0, not +/- .3 of a grain like some factory ammo. plus I know where my accuracy nodes are during load development. which is +/- .1. When I load I load in batches that would cover me for 2-3 matches which would be the equivalent to 3-4 lots of factory. I prep all of my brass at one time and I don't change my seating die once its in. For my plinking or not so precise loads I use dillon tool heads so they don't change either. Show me a bench rest or top ten Open class PRS shooter that is using factory ammo.

REDX

Back
Top Bottom