• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Church security

Encourage legal concealed carry, it is a force multiplier and the foe never honestly knows who is and who isn't armed.

Have never less than 3 detailed-preferably 5 or more, trained and tasked to provide security near the access (one) point. Lock all other doors preventing egress from multiple avenues of approach.

Never inform the congregation of who the armed detail is have them sit to the rear and mingle. At least one should be at the door of the single entrance.

Cameras are useful but won't prevent an attack. They might assist security but likely not. Communication is an overlooked but critical aspect and simply a cell phone conference call with all supporting elements is helpful for success.

Then train. Train to attack, train to defend, know the weak points and strengths.

The single most common lethal mistake of "trained" personnel is complacency and complacency kills. The first rule in a gun fight is to have a gun, second is to have friends with guns and having access to at least one long gun is important.

War college teaches tactics and defending a minimum of a 3:1 ratio is mandated and 5:1 to insure success. Imagine a lone gunman bursting through a door with 10 pistols firing at him at 10 different and separate locations. Just one pistol could have prevented the Texas massacre. None would have not nor did.

Locked doors aren't practical for most churches, especially larger ones. I would discourage you from building an AR. If your church thinks they need an AR, buy one from a reputable manufacture like Colt, S&W, Daniel Defense, etc. Properly trained LEO's and such on a security team wandering around is probably as good as you can hope for. I don't know that I'd encourage concealed carry, most people aren't trained and might end up shooting good guys. I wouldn't discourage it, but your security can't be left up to some yahoo who bought his first gun last week and figured out how to load it this morning. Cameras can be good, but it's very very difficult to pay attention to them. It's easy to have more than 100 cameras which is good for seeing what happened after the fact, but very hard to watch in real time. A distributed security team seems to be a good way to go and is how one largish church that I know goes about it. They also have regular check ins with the security team from non-security people just to let them know everything is OK.

Denying your foe multiple avenues of approach is critical to any BASIC effective defense no matter if it's a church, hospital or infantry company and especially a large soft target.

Our military does this with the terrain, razor wire, mines etc.

If not locking the doors preventing outside egress, allowing one entry and exit point is not "practical" then your defense plan sucks at best and at worst ...

Armed citizens are our first line of defense. Incorporate them in the "plan" if you want the most effective plan available. The guy pulling a gun and shooting at an attacker is likely friendly and good to have.

Don't shoot him.

I'm going to say something that most are gonna hate. First off, I am one of the biggest supporters of the second amendment. I believe we all should be carrying a gun. Heck I carry two sometimes. However, I do have a slightly different feel when it comes to large gatherings.

I was Assistant director of security for a large church in Metro Atlanta for about 8 years. When the law changed and aloud folks to carry in church if permitted, we had a meeting with the staff. The one biggest concern if a deranged person walked in with a gun, was 50 people jumping up and shooting at the threat. Being in Law Enforcement for the past two decades, and using common sense, we can all see that in a room of even a couple hundred people, and 50 jumping up and shooting, where that would lead. Instead of coming out and making a big deal, we simply put stickers on the doors with a gun and a line through it stating no firearms. Only the security team was aloud to carry in the building. Those selected for the security team had to go through a one day shooting course with the rest of us to prove they could shoot, and shoot accurately. When we learned of someone carrying in the building, we pulled them to the side and explained that only those with permission were aloud to carry. Some of the staff members felt we would drive people away and hurt some feelings. Truth is, most people were understanding. Especially when you point out that if an untrained civilian opened fire into a crowd, what disaster that could be, most were understanding.

Now, we got together a couple times a year and shot together. We ran all kinds of scenarios. We also identified certain persons with certain jobs. When we did have a problem, only a couple would go to the problem. Not everyone. And you really need to make sure your team has good communication and knows the layout of your facility. Plus, everyone needs to know each other on the security team. If you are gonna be armed, you need to have a plan about who is going to do what when you are needed.

Like I said, I know some of you are not going to like what I have said, but that's just my opinion. Biggest thing to remember, stay vigilant.

images.png

If you are going to place a sign on the property, i would go with one similar to the above sign.

Not like the one below...

gun-free-zone-gun-free-zones-yeah-its-kinda-like-24287628.png

Have a professional write a contingent plan and only trained sniper types should have an AR or the like, preferably with a green laser targeted to a pinpoint at the ranges in your Church. No civvies that say, hey I have an AR and can hit a 6" plate at 100 yards, that crap won't be the need in a church. A lot of possible collateral damage there about so one shot one stop is absolutely necessary and they should be behind and above the pulpit behind curtains or the like. If possible the congregation should also be somewhat trained to hit the floor, and cover their ears. and darken the room asap if possible to impede the active shooters aim and a bright beam into his eyes, of flash bang up front while the protector, shielded from its flash, takes aim and stops the threat. Also concealed carry at all entrances at all times while bldg. is occupied and at any children's rooms or worship area's. Also have advanced first aid folks in the congregation equipped with their jump bags to spring into action once the threat is stopped to help and hit. Also there should be several appointed to dial 911 immediately. Have an escape/egress plan in place to a safe area.

Especially when you point out that if an untrained civilian opened fire into a crowd, what disaster that could be, most were understanding.
My single biggest fear and one reason I stay away from places with lots of cops? Is being in a room with a bunch of cops trying to shoot a bad guy. I've seen enough police trying to qualify to know that is not somewhere you want to be. I for one would much rather have trained or practiced (or both) shooters in my congregation. I have members of the club here that I see practice every week, religiously, some on multiple days of each week, practicing drawing, firing, reholstering, moving, drawing firing, etc. Thousands and thousands of rounds per year, tens of thousands, rifles, pistols, revolvers, you name it. There is not a cop anywhere that I know that comes close to shooting a smidgen as much ammunition in practice as these guys. I'll sit with them, thank you.

Have a professional write a contingent plan and only trained sniper types should have an AR or the like, preferably with a green laser targeted to a pinpoint at the ranges in your Church. No civvies that say, hey I have an AR and can hit a 6" plate at 100 yards, that crap won't be the need in a church. A lot of possible collateral damage there about so one shot one stop is absolutely necessary and they should be behind and above the pulpit behind curtains or the like. If possible the congregation should also be somewhat trained to hit the floor, and cover their ears. and darken the room asap if possible to impede the active shooters aim and a bright beam into his eyes, of flash bang up front while the protector, shielded from its flash, takes aim and stops the threat. Also concealed carry at all entrances at all times while bldg. is occupied and at any children's rooms or worship area's. Also have advanced first aid folks in the congregation equipped with their jump bags to spring into action once the threat is stopped to help and hit. Also there should be several appointed to dial 911 immediately. Have an escape/egress plan in place to a safe area.

Woody-Herralson-As-Roy-Munson-Omg-Reaction-Gif-In-King-Pin.gif

I am head of security at our church. I have a guy in the front lobby armed , and I am in the service armed. you need a first and second line of protection.

Back
Top Bottom